My attempt at kiln

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Just checked a fat chunk of oak meter says 16% locust 20%. I’ll keep checking it because.....you guys get it. I wonder if the pieces higher up, furthest from the ground will be dryer?
I’m going to do it again but maybe try to get three rows on the pallets. I’m wondering if I was to place plastic on the ground, then set the pallets on bricks over the plastic. I realize there will be condensation on the plastic, am I correct in thinking that’s okay as long as I have adequate vents at the peaks the condensation will eventually stop. I learned, I think, that if the wood extended over the edge of the pallets say 2” consistently along the entire bottom this would give the stretch wrap something to be on contact with. I was pretty much flush with pallets so the stretch wrap was litterally flapping in the breeze in a few sections.

Reactions: jaoneill
Those splits higher in the stack will be slightly lower in moisture. I save quite a bit by using the shrink wrap from the bottom up to just below the rounded tops of my stacks. I use 18" material and overlap by half each time around.

Attachments

• IMG_1033.jpg
    IMG_1033.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 109
Hey jay, first that’s beautiful looking country. I have probably 10 pallets stacked in my yard. Most I have top covered with square tarps then shrink wrapped maybe a third of the way down.
Are your basically wrapping the entire pallet and letting it sit, my fear is mold/ruining half a cord of good wood. I’d love to just wrap what’s in the yard and I’d be good.
Did you cut vents somewhere? Thanks, Rob

Hey jay, first that’s beautiful looking country. I have probably 10 pallets stacked in my yard. Most I have top covered with square tarps then shrink wrapped maybe a third of the way down.
Are your basically wrapping the entire pallet and letting it sit, my fear is mold/ruining half a cord of good wood. I’d love to just wrap what’s in the yard and I’d be good.
Did you cut vents somewhere? Thanks, Rob
Not sure you are referring to my post above but: I cap the top with a piece of 4 mil clear poly then wrap the entire pallet, with vents cut in near the top on both sides. I also might mention that I use an older, essentially unsound pallet, under the one that the wood is stacked on; keeps the wood a bit further off the ground and helps with airflow to carry moisture up and out the vents. As can be seen in my photo above I have set things up out in an open area that gets full sun, sunup til sundown.