My Drolet - Sbi-international experience

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

angry Drolet

Feb 4, 2019
maniwaki qc
For a company that has a wonderful success story and appears to be a caring company ..dont be fooled. I recently , (this past November ) decided it was time to upgrade from a non epa Flame stove to a new more modern Drolet. Why Drolet ..well after reading a few forums and since i moved to Quebec 6 years ago and the stoves are made here I figured why not. After looking at the Drolet web site i found a burn chart that stated a 2.3c/ft fire box will burn 6-8 hours. So it was time to shop. I found an Eastwood 1500 and the book says its a 2.3 c/ft fire box ..i was in luck.. November 1 2018 i had it delivered i removed my Flame and was able to sell it fairly quickly. The Eastwood states it can heat up to 1500 sq/ft so my 2 story 1300 sq/ft should not be a problem. Well as temperatures dropped i found it difficult to warm my home. So back to get a fan . Well that did help till temps hit 0 f and i found myself running the stove wide open and loading at 1 am and again at 6 am with a fire that did not exist any longer ..house at 60 f. Seems the french version in my Drolet stove book says its a 1.6 c/ft firebox... now i know why its not doing what i want it to do. I return to my local Bon Homme building supply where i bought the stove and they although do not have a proper stove in stock tell me not to worry they will find the size i want and Drolet will likely help out due to the paperwork error. With -33c forecasted and after a month of sleepless nights my Bon homme called and asked if an ht-2000 would be ok.. Dang at this point i am tired of pulling hot coals out to feed more wood into that Eastwood , Sure bring it , i installed on arrival having stayed with Drolet. The Ht-2000 is great. Now here is Drolets offer ... 150 bucks... So much for good faith. My local Bon Homme is giving more of a discount than the company that produced the false info..Buyer beware dont trust Drolet data and dont expect them to stand behind their product.

For a company that has a wonderful success story and appears to be a caring company ..dont be fooled. I recently , (this past November ) decided it was time to upgrade from a non epa Flame stove to a new more modern Drolet. Why Drolet ..well after reading a few forums and since i moved to Quebec 6 years ago and the stoves are made here I figured why not. After looking at the Drolet web site i found a burn chart that stated a 2.3c/ft fire box will burn 6-8 hours. So it was time to shop. I found an Eastwood 1500 and the book says its a 2.3 c/ft fire box ..i was in luck.. November 1 2018 i had it delivered i removed my Flame and was able to sell it fairly quickly. The Eastwood states it can heat up to 1500 sq/ft so my 2 story 1300 sq/ft should not be a problem. Well as temperatures dropped i found it difficult to warm my home. So back to get a fan . Well that did help till temps hit 0 f and i found myself running the stove wide open and loading at 1 am and again at 6 am with a fire that did not exist any longer ..house at 60 f. Seems the french version in my Drolet stove book says its a 1.6 c/ft firebox... now i know why its not doing what i want it to do. I return to my local Bon Homme building supply where i bought the stove and they although do not have a proper stove in stock tell me not to worry they will find the size i want and Drolet will likely help out due to the paperwork error. With -33c forecasted and after a month of sleepless nights my Bon homme called and asked if an ht-2000 would be ok.. Dang at this point i am tired of pulling hot coals out to feed more wood into that Eastwood , Sure bring it , i installed on arrival having stayed with Drolet. The Ht-2000 is great. Now here is Drolets offer ... 150 bucks... So much for good faith. My local Bon Homme is giving more of a discount than the company that produced the false info..Buyer beware dont trust Drolet data and dont expect them to stand behind their product.
All of the info I have found puts the 1500 at 1.7 and the 1800 at 2.2. where did you find the 1500 labeled at 2.3?

Reactions: angry Drolet
All of the info I have found puts the 1500 at 1.7 and the 1800 at 2.2. where did you find the 1500 labeled at 2.3?
The book that was in the stove on the english half says its a 2.3 ... the french side says its 1.6 I have put pic of both english and french ..same book , as i do not speak french i only looked at english side of book. i have included the eastwood 1800 which book says is also 2.3 and your file data shows as 2.2

Attachments

• IMG_1310.JPG
    IMG_1310.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_1311.JPG
    IMG_1311.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_1312.JPG
    IMG_1312.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
Reactions: bholler
The book that was in the stove on the english half says its a 2.3 ... the french side says its 1.6 I have put pic of both english and french ..same book , as i do not speak french i only looked at english side of book. i have included the eastwood 1800 which book says is also 2.3 and your file data shows as 2.2
Well I was skeptical at first but it clearly is a misprint and in my opinion (not that it matters much) SBI should step up and replace it with a larger one.

Well I was skeptical at first but it clearly is a misprint and in my opinion (not that it matters much) SBI should step up and replace it with a larger one.
So to update what's been happening , it seems after two claim numbers sbi has reached out and will cover the loss of me reselling the eastwood 1500. stove and fan loss of 328$ ,I had not planned on spending what the ht2000 cost but wow what a difference , my home is warm at -37c -34.6f it sits at 24c or 75f with ease . Happy not to have a loss , just not pleased with doing two installs and the sleepless nights to get to this point. My building supply dealer Bonhomme is giving me 600$ off the price of new ht2000 .. had hoped Drolet would step up but no loss is better than a loss.

Just out of curiosity . . . when you say you are running the stove wide open I assume it's safe to assume that you are getting the stove up to temp and then reducing the air to get a secondary burn? What temps are you getting out of the stove and/or flue?

I ran the eastwood with a flue temp of 500-550 to get good draw than i would cut air feed down to half to get good secondary . Once cut back on air my flue temp was in between 250-300 . At these temps it took the stove from 6 am till late evening to get my 1300s/ft up to 72F from the 60f start at 6 am.

Attachments

• IMG_1282.JPG
    IMG_1282.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 290
An update on the Feb. 4th post that sbi (drolet was sending 328$ its been 5 weeks and no cheque has arrived. I e-mailed them again Monday and have heard nothing back.

Do you have it in an email from Drolet that they would reimburse you $328? Always nice to have a paper trail.

My final update to this post. After a long wait i called customer service at drolet again and based on e-mails they told me a cheque was never sent and would issue one to me. Two weeks later my cheque for 328$ has arrived. What started in January has finally finished April 8th 2019. On a side note my ht 2000 is doing the job i was told it would do even when we hit -37c.

Glad it eventually worked out for you. My SBI experience, pre and post sales, was excellent. As is the stove. Great bang for the buck!

Hello @angry Drolet: I have a 1,100sf and wondered if the Drolet HT2000 would be too strong but from what I have been reading, owners with 1.300 sf as yourself and even 1,200 sf owner was ok with it.....how is the heat output? please share your temps and operating procedure...I just want an idea if you care to share. thanlks