my first few loads of free wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

beermann

Feeling the Heat
Jan 16, 2017
canada
Hey guys.

My stove isn't installed but I found a free offer for firewood. This is what my first few loads added up to.....mind the pink walls. It was from the previous owner.

How much wood do you think I got? I can make a few more trips in a couple hours. All maple.

Attachments

• IMG_20170305_140021.jpg
    IMG_20170305_140021.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 557
  • IMG_20170305_140026.jpg
    IMG_20170305_140026.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 484
Hey guys.

My stove isn't installed but I found a free offer for firewood. This is what my first few loads added up to.....mind the pink walls. It was from the previous owner.

How much wood do you think I got? I can make a few more trips in a couple hours. All maple.
I like the pink walls. Nice contrast to the manly wood.

When I was a kid, my folks let me pick a color and paint my bedroom. On the swatch, it looked like a nice beige. On the walls, it looked pink like yours. My game trophies and gun racks made an interesting contrast.

Look forward to your posts when you get your stove installed.

Thanks for the input. I'll "hump away" on the wood and the wife while I can. :p using her suv to haul the wood. I'll buy the rest of the wood I need mid-summer.

Reactions: Gboutdoors
Free is free I've been doing the same grabbing 1/6 of a cord a day on my lunch breaks from free adds. Sadly mine is box elder and not real maple :) but free is free and its what I'm burning now anyways. Beats pine/spruce which is my alternative. Plus it seasons quickly (also rots quickly if not cut and split right away)

Maybe you're the guy who's been scooping up my wood! ;). The downside of only grabbing what you can.

Last edited:
I scraped together 2 grand for a beater truck just for scrounging.
The fact that it had 164,000 on the clock and my Stratus was closing on 200,000
turned it into my daily driver, then it got even better after totalling a few deer all in
one summer in the Strat. (which made the truck the daily driver) Rides smooth and has great power.
Those Magnum engines I had forgotten how well they are built. Can't kill the things with clean oil in 'em.
I hadda '93 Dakota that I drove till it rotted way back but it still started every day.
This '01 acts like new STILL. I even stop in at the used car dealer just to pi$$ him off.
He told me it wasn't really worth fixing but I might get a year out of it due to the rod knocking, or starting to.
An oil change of 5 qts diesel run thru the oil system for 5 min unstuck the lifter and an ECM that fixed the
crazy idle surging cost all of 45 bux, an exhaust, rotors n' pads brought it up to $400 I had to put into it.
I was surprised that a car dealer didn't know a bad lifter and timing issues were making it all wonky.
It's cool purring in for a free coffee and yak session with the Pioneer/ Infinity sound system and literally 14 speakers
letting him know I'm pulling in with the Jesus tunes thumpin' thru the subs. LOL

It hauls wood too, btw. Needed a bearing last week but still no other issues so far in 11,000+ miles so far...........
Not bad for a 16 year old and very useful tool for an avid dumpster diver like myself either. That's where most
of the sound system came from (car audio shop that doesn't lock their hopper).

Nice maple, btw, Mr. Brewski !!

That's silver maple, so get it split (asap). It should be ready by November if it's stacked in windy sunny location.
When you are just getting started, you should have your eye out for just about anything to build up a good supply. Shoot for three years ahead

I agree that it looks like a third of a cord. Once the wood is dry enough to burn, a third of a cord should get you a couple weeks worth of heat.

Reactions: beermann
My scrounge mobile is my Grand Marquis. Last year I brought home tulip, dead white oak, and locust that I've been burning this winter, still have all my locust left. Beginning this past fall I began bringing back almost all red oak a very short distance from my house. Utility crews trimmed mostly limbs and some 6 to 8 inch diameter trees along the easement. I walk through there anyway so I grab a few pieces on my way back. for some reason they cut it into pieces ranging from a perfect 16" to 7 foot lengths so I can fit it in the trunk even if it hangs out the back. It's no longer green wood, it must have been sitting there for well over a year in the utility easement exposed to sun. It has really added up through this winter, it will be next winters supply. there is still lots of wood left in them woods.

Reactions: beermann and fishki
Looks like about 10 days of burning wood

Reactions: beermann
Mine is a jetta Tdi wagon it has more cargo capacity then a lot of 1/4 tons. But I'm done abusing it I bought an old dodge dakota on the weekend :)
Hey is that a '71 or '72 Plym in your avatar? Looks like my first car! (I was only hauling kids to college back then.....no wood)!!

72 Plymouth Satellite Sebring :) Local car only had 32 000 miles on it when I bought it.
Mine was a 71. Had a 318 and rotted out rear floors. Same color as yours! Loved that car.

Reactions: Gotrek
I hooked the guys up with a couple cases of beer (I get it cheap from work) and they are going to drop off a load about the same size as what is seen in the photo. Maby a little bigger. I'll get something like that whenever they do a job and if it's on the weekend I can load whatever I can take.