My first holzhausen build

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Life got in the way, so I’m not done with this project yet. All the wood is delivered and I have one stack complete with the roof on. I’ve decided not to use a tarp roof and instead I’m going to roof them with splits. The old ways seem better here in the windy north. Two other stacks are ready for their roofs and the last is started but I need to start it over.

Completing the first roof taught me that I should not make the base 8 feet wide but only 7 or even 6 feet. Because once the roof needed to be be put on I realized it was too wide for me reach the center to place the center splits of the roof. I’m going to make the last one only 6 or 7 feet around. Hopefully, by the time I get to the center of the roof, I’ll be able to reach it more easily. I may have to stack it higher.

4249A2F5-2E4F-4B31-86B5-13DD983CE686.jpeg

Last edited:
Not to be negative but I just can't see how there is better airflow trough holzhausens. I mean the center is just like a pile of fresh cut wood and we're told to stack such piles. They look nice and all but stacked rows just seem to scream better airflow to me. However some people swear that holzhausens dry quicker. I'd like to try an experiment as well. Perhaps someday.

There is a user here that has a closed (tho presumably not air sealed) wood shed and he gets his wood dry too.
South Carolina, so hot. But this suggests it is possible. Maybe the heat escapes less easily leading to more water dissolving in the air, and the residue air flow does remove that wood. The argument the SC closed shed user uses is the moisture escapes thru the wood siding (which indeed is not impermeable).

Bottom line, if the air in a holzhausen that does escape contains far more moisture than a normal wood stack, it may offset the lower airflow.

I tend to agree that single layer rows of splits have more wind and sun exposure so should more efficiently dry yhe wood. But, they take up far more space than do holzhausens. I have 8 cords in the same space only 3 would fit with straight rows. As long as half of it dries enough for this coming season, I will be set. After that all my holzhausens will have 2 years to do their thing.

I’ve just begun to burn the wood from the first two holzhausens. These were maple, cut last winter. Seasoned May through October, then put up in a garage. I haven’t taken a proper moisture reading but it burns well.

The remaining holzhousens from that cutting are holding up well…

50E15EB9-93A5-4C9B-8219-6F2996196EA8.jpeg

Reactions: Vg3200p and mcdougy
This is my first one Not as pretty as the other ones but i have the chip Munk guard on patrol . I did not notice any huge difference in drying . I liked doing it and looks cool my neighbors loved it . Got some wood to start processing .

IMG_1083 (002).PNG

This is my first one Not as pretty as the other ones but i have the chip Munk guard on patrol . I did not notice any huge difference in drying . I liked doing it and looks cool my neighbors loved it . Got some wood to start processing .

View attachment 306632
Nice!