My first problem - of my own making (HI300 latch)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the_guad

Jan 6, 2006
No Va
So, as instructed by the manual (page 17) I took the door latch assembly out when the door became exceedingly easy to close and removed the spacer. Now I can't get the door to close... and when I do it's incredibly difficult to open. I've put the spacer back in but I can't get it back to the point of being easy again. Please help!

Mine has several 1'' flat washers for spacing you remove too many and the latch acts like you describe. or did you mistangly not put the striker in the same spot up and down ? I marked mine with a pencil so I could put it back just the way it was. I only had to take two washers out from behind each bolt. Hope this helps you.

Wow, I think I got the odd stove. Mine had a bunch of problems and now I can add that it only had one spacer too. I wish they had put the bit in the manual about marking it, that would have been really useful.

Im sorry your having trouble with the FPI the product!!!! I hope you can fix the problem!!!!! Greg

The people I bought it from are very helpful and are going to give me some washers this evening. Great folks. Even though I've had a bunch of quality control issues, it's still a really fantastic heater. I burned a hot fire last night and let it die down to white hot coals around 11 when I went to bed and when I woke up this morning at 8 it was still warm to the touch. Not hot, but warm enough to not have to get the flue started back up or build a small fire in order to prime the metal for the flame. Nice... I would buy it again, but would inspect anything more closely the second time around.

Right, the folks at Ace gave me 4 washers and one extra on the top and bottom cured the issue.. of course, now I have to replace the door gasket since it's so compressed that I can't control the burn very well. And yes, I still love the stove.

Guad,, Can you call the dealer or FPI tech to come check out the stove and help you, since its still under warranty???? My dealer came out 3 times to get my Waterford fixed the best he could. He did not get much help from FPI. Just a thought before you start changing the gasket, I guess you could void your warranty. Good Luck Greg :coolsmile:

There's no warranty issue since it's a user serviceable part and you're actually told to adjust it after your first few fires. The problem in my case is that the dealer was Ace Hardware and they don't service stoves. All's well now until I'm ready to replace the door gasket.

Well, I need to replace the door gasket now. The extra washer helped get the door closed but now too much air is getting in. However, once again the people at Ace are standing behind their sale and they're going to give it to me for free. Again, kudos to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.