My first scrounge with pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SolarAndWood said:
Skier76 said:
I'm a "flatlander" from CT. :lol:

And recently graduated to pine or whatever else I can get my hands on scrounging flatlander from CT

You hit the nail on the head my friend. :coolsmile:

I have a boat load of pine if anyone on this board wants to come and get it. its the leftovers from logging last year. Would pretty much give anyone 10 years supply I would imagine. You can drive right to it for the most part.

Skier76 said:
Scored from Craigslist....Evil Pine! 10 minutes from work...I couldn't resist.

I loaded up as much as I could in my Grand Cherokee. I brought a 2x4 with me to use as a makeshift ramp for the larger rounds. Next time, I'll bring a small brush to help clean off the parts that have been sitting on the ground. I used a hatch bag to keep the Jeep clean...you can hardly tell there was anything in there.

I'll probably end up splitting this here in CT, then haul it up gradually to VT.

You are moving the wood that far? In some states, that's illegal.

Great score. I sometimes use my 91 volvo wagon for wood scrounging instead of my truck...whatever works!

Jags said:
Backwoods Savage said:
And now to remove the pitch from your hands after loading and then splitting. Miracle Whip Salad Dressing works nicely. Just a little dab, rub it and rinse it off and no more pitch!

Good idea Dennis - another one is baby oil. When your done it washes off with soap and water. Don't smell too bad either.

Prolly tastes better than Miracle Whip, too!

Peace,
- Sequoia

Since March of this year I have moved 6 cords of (free) wood in the back of my '04 minivan. Needless to say it goes through periods of looking pretty bad..... More than 1/2 a cord at a time makes the back end wavy. A third is my preferred limit :)

CarbonNeutral said:
moved 6 cords of (free) wood in the back of my '04 minivan...
Prolly mini (face) cords.

LLigetfa said:
CarbonNeutral said:
moved 6 cords of (free) wood in the back of my '04 minivan...
Prolly mini (face) cords.

Unless your face cord measures 4x4x8, then no, full cords. Want to see my spreadsheet.... :)

CarbonNeutral said:
More than 1/2 a cord at a time makes the back end wavy.
In a minivan?? Given that decent hardwood is around 2000 pounds for half a cord, I find that really hard to believe.

Well if my minivan takes 7 people plus driver, plus luggage, then you could see how I can begin to get up there, especially when two of the 80 pound seats are removed, but yes, that's also why I prefer a third of a cord at a time, usually much less as I don't bother to take the middle row out.

Without the seats I can fit 8x'4' sheets of plywood flat so space is not the issue.

CarbonNeutral said:
More than 1/2 a cord at a time makes the back end wavy.

Dude, I think that van is trying to tell you something But, I gotta admire your cajones. I had less than a half cord of maple in the truck today and it was riding a little low.

I've kicked around the idea of getting some of those air bags for the insides of the rear coils. I guess they can help with towing too.

Skier76 said:
I've kicked around the idea of getting some of those air bags for the insides of the rear coils. I guess they can help with towing too.

Don't fight it, once you've made your first score it is time for a pickup.

I need to get out and scrounge some more myself. My wife will shoot me for getting more wood but she won't mine not having to pay for the wood. I'll have to get a truck too pretty soon. My daughter is almost driving so she'll get my car and I will buy a used pick-up.

You that bumper sticker Drive it like you stole it.

I have to give all you scroungers props for your dedication, tenacity and resolve. I'd have to burn coal before going on that eternal pilgrimage and I love burning wood.

savageactor7 said:
I have to give all you scroungers props for your dedication, tenacity and resolve. I'd have to burn coal before going on that eternal pilgrimage and I love burning wood.

Depending on where you live and after you get the knack for it, I think it is easier than dropping, skidding and blocking on your own land. The only difference for me is hooking the trailer up before I leave for the office in the morning. Picking up a load of wood on the way home is no more work than getting 4 yards of mulch from the city pile. You meet a lot of nice people that you may otherwise never have the pleasure of meeting. I met a guy who grows figs in Syracuse a couple months ago; I didn't even know it could be done.

I split some of the rounds after mowing the lawn yesterday. (What is it with me picking the hottest days of the week to work on scrounging and splitting?) Damn...that pine was pretty solid! My maul actually bounced a few times when hitting the rounds. But once it split, it split nicely. And boy does pine smell good when it's freshly split.

Skier76 said:
Damn...that pine was pretty solid! once it split, it split nicely. And boy does pine smell good when it's freshly split.

I have a little over a cord of pine split nice and small and stacked close to the stove. My wife, while enjoying the smell of it, observed that it will be nice to have some small splits like that when she comes home on a cold day to get the fire going quickly. I agreed.

That's the plan for us as well. I hope get more pine soon and split a lot of it for kindling.

Loading up the roof rack would probably be pushing it. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.