My first scrounge with pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skier76

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 14, 2009
CT and SoVT
Scored from Craigslist....Evil Pine! 10 minutes from work...I couldn't resist.

I loaded up as much as I could in my Grand Cherokee. I brought a 2x4 with me to use as a makeshift ramp for the larger rounds. Next time, I'll bring a small brush to help clean off the parts that have been sitting on the ground. I used a hatch bag to keep the Jeep clean...you can hardly tell there was anything in there.

I'll probably end up splitting this here in CT, then haul it up gradually to VT.

Attachments

• IMG_1088 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1088 (Medium).JPG
    85 KB · Views: 830
  • IMG_1089 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1089 (Medium).JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 840
  • IMG_1090 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1090 (Medium).JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 848
Nice scrounge....I love seeing folks pick up wood without trucks and trailers :)...only cause I have been there....looks like its going to be good kindling wood for that new Jotul up in VT :)

My 4x8 trailer is up in VT right now. D'oh! But I was able to grab a good amount with just use of the rear hatch and the seats folded down. I have the seat bottoms removed, so I get a bit of extra space with the seats down.

Yep! With it being a weekend place, I'm going to need lots of kindling to get it fired up when we arrive for the weekend.

Welcome to the dark side. That's too nice of a jeep to be treating like that although some pine split small is a nice way to start a cold winter morning.

That is how it all starts! Any score is a good score in my book.

Not sure how the double post happened but sorry for it.

Nice scrounge....I love seeing folks pick up wood without trucks and trailers ...only cause I have been there....l

Man, I wish I had taken some pics when I was scrounging oak and pine from a dumpster near my work in my '93 Civic! Pretty hilarious looking on the way home with the backseat loaded down, ridin' low, with a big oak round ridin' bi*ch!

SolarAndWood said:
Welcome to the dark side. That's too nice of a jeep to be treating like that although some pine split small is a nice way to start a cold winter morning.

The cargo liner really really helped. There are few bits of wood on the fender humps and very close to the tailgate. The rest landed on the cargoliner/hatch bag and I just shook it out when I was done. Here's a stock pic from their website: http://www.hatchbag.com/suvcargoliner_hatchbag.php

I did that back in the 70's on the way home in my wife's station wagon. The next day on her way to work a big spider climbed up on her shoulder and she almost wrecked the car. I got a lecture on not doing that anymore. :lol:

BrotherBart said:
I did that back in the 70's on the way home in my wife's station wagon. The next day on her way to work a big spider climbed up on her shoulder and she almost wrecked the car. I got a lecture on not doing that anymore. :lol:

Now that was funny to read this morning!

Woodbutcher

That poor poor jeep.....I hope you give it some premium gas as a reward or perhaps an oil change......

Brother Bart, been there done that! You never forget those things.

And now to remove the pitch from your hands after loading and then splitting. Miracle Whip Salad Dressing works nicely. Just a little dab, rub it and rinse it off and no more pitch!

stee6043 said:
That poor poor jeep.....I hope you give it some premium gas as a reward or perhaps an oil change......

I changed the oil two weeks ago; last week. I gave it full detail. It's a great vehicle! It's helped us haul a ton of stuff.

Skier76 said:
stee6043 said:

I changed the oil two weeks ago; last week. I gave it full detail. It's a great vehicle! It's helped us haul a ton of stuff.
Just throw a couple of soccer kids in there and it will be okay. ;)

your collecting pine?

Adirondackwoodburner said:
your collecting pine?

Asks the man that has a view of northern hardwood forest out every window of his house:)

Backwoods Savage said:
And now to remove the pitch from your hands after loading and then splitting. Miracle Whip Salad Dressing works nicely. Just a little dab, rub it and rinse it off and no more pitch!

Good idea Dennis - another one is baby oil. When your done it washes off with soap and water. Don't smell too bad either.

your collecting pine?

I don't plan on buring it. I heard it will cause your stove to melt, random chimney fires and mountain lions will attack you if you try to cut it.

you must not be a true Vermonter..they be called catamounts right.

you must not be a true Vermonter..they be called catamounts right.

I'm a "flatlander" from CT. :lol:

Skier76 said:
I'm a "flatlander" from CT. :lol:

And recently graduated to pine or whatever else I can get my hands on scrounging flatlander from CT

your collecting pine?

Well, after everyone on this board got me scared to burn oak without seasoning it for a century I figured I'd try to find some faster seasoning stuff. I'm not going out of my way to find it, but if it falls in my lap I'm not turning it down. The more softwood I can find, the longer that oak can cook...

Attachments

• wood check.jpg
    wood check.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 276
Status
Not open for further replies.