My first wood burning fireplace insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cirque1000

Sep 29, 2008
Northern CA.
Greetings Everyone...

Obviously, as a first time buyer I could use some advice. I live in Northern CA. (the Napa Valley) and the winters are obviously not as cold as the mid west and east coast but it does get chilly.
The main reason I'm looking at a fireplace insert is:

* My home was built in 1920 and my masonry fireplace is old and I'm tired of all the heat going up the chimney. Also, there is no damper so I am constantly stuffing insulation up the chimney to keep the cold from coming in. :)
* An insert will burn cleaner and it's safer.

I am not looking to use this stove 24/7 as a sole means to heat my home.
That being said, the room with the fireplace in it is 400 sq. feet. The total sq. footage of the home is 1,600 sq. ft.

I have been looking at a Lopi Declaration or a Pacific Energy Pacific (medium size). Both of these units are great quality and aesthetically pleasing to me, and at this point I'm more inclined to go with the Lopi because I like the flush mount. Are either of these stoves more than I need for this space? Will I be too hot? or are they the perfect 2 choices and I just need to pick one.
Any advice, suggestions or testimonials about these 2 products is appreciated.

Many Thanks!

Size and quality wise you've made good choices. Go with whichever one you like the best. They won't overheat you unless you run the stove hot. You control the amount of wood burning and the air going to the fire.

I'll be heating roughly 1500 SF of a 2000 SF house with the Pacific insert this year. Chimney located in the middle of the house.

Having done some playing with it, and fans and rethinking open & closed doors, I think I can pretty much heat the whole house (plus a 550 SF apartment)most of the time, and unless it gets really, really cold. Luckily the daughter lives there, so open doors are not an issue :coolsmile:

I went with the Pacific because it wasn't a flush mount. From my research, the front of the insert also gets warm, and projects heat into the house as well. I have experienced this already in my test fires :)

Good luck with which ever you choose !! And welcome to the forums !

Status
Not open for further replies.