My Go To Woodstove Tool

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Longknife

Burning Hunk
Oct 12, 2016
Eastern Ontario, Canada
I don't exactly remember the impetus that led to me making this tool, I just remember grabbing a piece of rebar, welding on a flat plate and attaching a handle off an old pruner, thinking that I need something with more reach for my stove (or something). It has proved to be a winner though.

The long length makes it ideal for reaching in and raking out a hot coal bed without burning your hands and I'll often use it in place of a poker, placing/moving around wood in the stove. What I normally do at an end of a burn is push everything forward from the door, rake back any coals and embers to the front and then push the remainder of the ash to the back where I'll mound it before removing approx. twice a week. I know this isn't exactly an orthodox method, but it's seemed to work very well for me and I never have an overwhelming ash bed and can manage my coals well. There is usually very little coals or unburned wood in my ash when I remove it. The flat plate is ideal for pushing the ash around and with a little finesse, coals can be plucked out easily enough. I have thought of making one side of the plate more of a rake, but I don't want to add to it's overall height and when I really just want to pick out a few coals from a pile of ash, I'll just use a traditional poker.

I would seriously miss having it and can't see myself running a stove (of this style anyway) without one anymore.

Anyone else use something similar?

2020-01-01 006 (960x1280) - Copy.jpg

I have a very similar tool that is a long handle ash rake meant for guys who run bbq pits. I love the thing it’s perfect for taking coals forward and the handle is long enough to keep you away from the intense heat.

Reactions: BeautifulBC
Similar to what I use with my Super 27 just with a longer handle. For my 17vl I use a long flat pry bar I had laying around the shop.

I purchased this rod iron rake when I bought the stove intending to buy a "set" later on. I haven't needed anything else as this is an all-purpose for me. I do the same in terms of stirring up the ash and coals after a burn and raking the coals to the front when reloading.

Attachments

• IMG_4988.jpg
    IMG_4988.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 212
Reactions: Longknife
I’ve used this stove rake since the late 70’s when I had my Ashley stove. Had many stoves since then but have alway kept the same rake.
image.jpg

Built a tool with flat stock on one side and a rake on the other. Push ash, rake coals.

I have the same tool as NHMike, bought it when I had my first stove and cant live without it.

I put the head of a hoe on a metal stair baluster and painted everything black. Looks good and is very functional.

You can't go wrong with that price!

I use a similar thing, it’s a flower garden rake. Reloads it helps sorting out the coals and I push them in the back. The handle is just the right length where if the firewood is at the same length or shorter, it will fit in a north/south load. Over it’s an east west piece

I don't exactly remember the impetus that led to me making this tool, I just remember grabbing a piece of rebar, welding on a flat plate and attaching a handle off an old pruner, thinking that I need something with more reach for my stove (or something). It has proved to be a winner though.

The long length makes it ideal for reaching in and raking out a hot coal bed without burning your hands and I'll often use it in place of a poker, placing/moving around wood in the stove. What I normally do at an end of a burn is push everything forward from the door, rake back any coals and embers to the front and then push the remainder of the ash to the back where I'll mound it before removing approx. twice a week. I know this isn't exactly an orthodox method, but it's seemed to work very well for me and I never have an overwhelming ash bed and can manage my coals well. There is usually very little coals or unburned wood in my ash when I remove it. The flat plate is ideal for pushing the ash around and with a little finesse, coals can be plucked out easily enough. I have thought of making one side of the plate more of a rake, but I don't want to add to it's overall height and when I really just want to pick out a few coals from a pile of ash, I'll just use a traditional poker.

I would seriously miss having it and can't see myself running a stove (of this style anyway) without one anymore.

Anyone else use something similar?

View attachment 254623
A $3 children's hoe from Walmart. It's all steel, except for the end cap. Perfect for this application. It's a little to much hoe, and I've been meaning to cut about 3/4 inch off. If I put it off long enough, it'll wear down from scraping the bricks.

I couldn't find coal rake I liked so welded up a kids rake. I couldn't be happier with out how it turned out. Works great for pulling coals forward and pushing ashes back.
Looks similar to what I have, just has a shorter handle. Perfect tool for a woodstove

I couldn't find coal rake I liked so welded up a kids rake. I couldn't be happier with out how it turned out. Works great for pulling coals forward and pushing ashes back.

I did the same thing. I bought a kids garden rake from the local DIY store and cut the handle down. I don't weld, so the wood handle might need to be replaced every so often, but it's just what I need.

Mines made form 3/4" stainless rod with 1/4" stainless plate

Attachments

• 15794738749296877998785550640584.jpg
    15794738749296877998785550640584.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 130
I made one with the handle of an old sandwich press and a name plate soon after I got my insert and have never used anything else. Seemed so natural/obvious to have some sort of rake to work with the insert.

Attachments

• 20200120_074409.jpg
    20200120_074409.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 125