My hearthstone installation.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MountainStoveGuy

Minister of Fire
Jan 23, 2006
Boulder County
Thought i would share my stove install. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• Stovephoto.jpg
    Stovephoto.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 2,609
MountainStoveGuy said:
Thought i would share my stove install. Thanks for looking!

Better get busy on that baby gate.

few months yet to worry about that LOL. But i do have my kidco hearthgate. Its still in the box.

Attachments

• babym.jpg
    babym.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 1,809
Holy cow!! That's looks alot like what I'm trying to do in my house. I have a old inefficent fireplace that's installed in a corner wall like that. I was just going to rip it out and put in a insert, but then I started thinking. If I can take out the wall entirely, I could just install a freestanding stove in the corner. But with your pictures, it looks like I might possibly just enlarge the opening (observing all clearances ofcourse). What are the walls of the opening made of?

Very nice looking stove!!!!! Thanks for the picture. Now I'm reallying thinking (which could be dangerous!!! ;) )

Thanks for all the replies :D

The walls are typical stud and drywall construction. My wife didnt want to see the pipe in our catherdral celing so i boxed it it. If you do this type of install you really need to consider a chase for the chimney. Stove's like to vent more in the center of a house then the corner. Sorry it took so long to get back, i have been out of town last week.
Ryan

Do you have the plans or drawings for your install? I'm going to try and replicate it in my place. I spent the weekend laying it out on paper, and I am really begining to like the layout. I even went to the stove store and looked at the Hearthstone. That is one sharp stove!!!! Even the fiance' loved it. Makes it much easier to convence her to let me do the work ;)

I dont have any plans for it, i did build it when i buit the house, but i did it free hand and plan less, i hope your better the compound miter cuts then i am LOL. I designed the hearth for the mansfield so its larger then it needs to be. Don if you want to talk i will pm you my number.
Ryan

LOL, yea, it's going to be a great learning experience for me. This will be the first major addition to my place. I've been using this opportunity to learn CadKey, so I think I have it laid out ok. I'm just worried about the clearances to combustables. If I can durarock the alcove, I believe I can keep it pretty tight. I'm going to try and get the space conditioned, then have the stove vendor install the stove and the new chimney.

How have you liked the Harmony? What's been your average burn time.

The hearitage can get 7 inches to a cumbustable surface with double wall pipe and a heat sheild. The durarock wont do you any good unless its attached to steel studs. Or if its atached to wood studs with a one inch air space.
I put a electrical outlet in the roof of the alcove to plug christmas stuff into.
I also like the oversized hearth, it gives you lots of storage room and keeps the crap off the floor. IF you want any specific measurments that i used i will get them for you. Good luck!

Ohh and one more thing, the reason those colums are on the sides is because i had to bring that alcove out further to maintain my stove clearance, but had that window in the way that prevented me from going strait across. The support box is nailed right against the backside of the header going across.
I almoste forgot, i get 4-6 hour burn times using pine.

Imperial stove board products should be avalible through any tru-value hardware store. They make a spacer kit. Or you can get some conduit and chop it up to a 1 inch thickness.
The manual is here http://hearthstonestoves.com/documents/Heritage8021Manual.pdf and that will give you all the clearances you need. I will take some measurments of mine, but as you can see its a funny shape.

Since i "squared off" the rear (future chase for basement zero clearance firplece) of the alcove, i used parallel clearances.

MSG, I just found this old post on a search. Looks like a really nice install, I like the stone (slate?) work, turned out real well. And no comments about the framing-but dude, using scaffold is cheating, gotta redneck engineer that instead! Lets say some of my construction methods (ways of getting it done, not the work itself) were not quite OSHA approved. Best part is that drywall hides lots of sins!

How long did it take you to build your place?

Bri

It looks like a very nice installation. How did you build your hearth? According to Hearthstone it needs a 2.5 R-factor hearth pad. I was thinking about stacking 6 sheets of cement board on top of each other and then tiling that. What do you think?

Just wanted to chime in...BEAUTIFUL JOB ! Looks great !

Status
Not open for further replies.