My initial report on the Vaccu stack, wind resistant chimney cap..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rumme

Dec 14, 2008
arkansas
I was having problems with smoke entering my home on windy days . Much of this may be due to the fact that I did not follow the 2-10 rule....and that my chimney top is only even with any part of the roof 10 ft away .

I decided to try the more expenisve route of purchasing the vaccu stack chimney cap, because it was a much easier mission.

these caps can sell for as high as $250 at woodstove dealers, but I found mine for $100 shipped.

my initial imprsssion of this chimney cap is very good. It is quite windy tonite, and it would have bene a night i would not have risked firing up the woodstove normally...which made it a perfect night to try out the vaccu stack.

so far, I havent had any smoke enter the house thru the woodstove. I figure I will need a few more weeks of winday days, coming from different directions, to claim that this has solved all my wind related smoke problems, but so far, so good.

I too have a vacu stack cap on my class a chimney pipe. I have never had a problem with smoke backing into the house and my house gets the full brunt of the northeast winds that come whipping down the street. The more wind outside the more the draft is increased. I think they should be standard issue with every chimney. Only drawback that I have found is that sometimes with a wind driven rain I end up with some water in the stove. . .but it is rare.

before you put on the vaccu stack, did you experience smoke/ wind related problems ?

I ordered the 6 " model, but I have a 8 " square chimney. What I did was weld me a steel 8-1/4" x 8- 1/4" box out of flat plate steel...and then I welded the vaccu stack to the top of that. This allowed me to just get up on my ladder and slip the whole contraption over the top of my chimney. It realy worked out nicely. So far, the vaccu stack has impressed me and solved my smoke/ wind problems.

CZARCAR said:
rumme said:
I was having problems with smoke entering my home on windy days . Much of this may be due to the fact that I did not follow the 2-10 rule....and that my chimney top is only even with any part of the roof 10 ft away .

I decided to try the more expenisve route of purchasing the vaccu stack chimney cap, because it was a much easier mission.

these caps can sell for as high as $250 at woodstove dealers, but I found mine for $100 shipped.

my initial imprsssion of this chimney cap is very good. It is quite windy tonite, and it would have bene a night i would not have risked firing up the woodstove normally...which made it a perfect night to try out the vaccu stack.

so far, I havent had any smoke enter the house thru the woodstove. I figure I will need a few more weeks of winday days, coming from different directions, to claim that this has solved all my wind related smoke problems, but so far, so good.
dont forget to ppost if the thing plugs up with creo Or what is involved in cleaning it.

will do....I dont think it will plug up with creosote...its just a chimney cap, made a different way then others ...either way, I constructed my chimney and cap, so cleaning will not be a labourous affair. I learned a long time ago its better to work smart, then hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.