My new sawbuck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn Curry

Jul 7, 2014
Western NY
I finished building my new sawbuck over the weekend and its working great. Took a couple ideas I liked, and designed it to suit my needs.

The "crotch" height is 2' from the ground, to match the height of my wood trailer. I offset the center leg, and made the short side 18"OC, my preferred length, which fits N/S in my stove, and 24"OC, which fits E/W. I used half lap joinery for extra strength. image.jpg

image.jpg

Here is is folded "closed". I had to make a trade off, between folding ability, and the extra strength of the joinery. Takes up about 1/2 the space as it does fully open.
image.jpg

This thing is solid. Here it is loaded up with 2/3 of a smaller Norway maple tree:
image.jpg

Get ready to press the "easy" button:
image.jpg

The "short" side is pretty handy too:
image.jpg

Then my Dad came over with the FEL, so we could really test her out:
image.jpg

Just kidding. This is the ash log I saved from my 4th of July score. Finally got it home from the neighbors house:
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Soundchasm
Looks great Shawn. I was just telling myself last night I could use one when I was looking at my pile of uncut branches. Like how you took the time to add the lap joints and stain your finished product.

Nice looking sawbuck! Makes mine seem a bit ugly ;em

One word of advice- be careful not to nick any of the bolts when you're cutting, ask me how I know

Reactions: Shawn Curry
Nice looking sawbuck! Makes mine seem a bit ugly ;em

One word of advice- be careful not to nick any of the bolts when you're cutting, ask me how I know

Thanks! I wanted to countersink for the heads of the bolts, but I had to make that relief notch to allow it to fold up, so there was just too much going on right there and I didn't want to compromise the strength.

I already "broke it in" yesterday - started going too fast and nicked it with the chainsaw:
image.jpg

Made quick work of a medium size ash tree, and a trailer load of branch size stuff in the process though:
image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Pennsyltucky Chris
Nice work!
Thanks for showing how to use a saw buck! I thought it was for ol timey manual crosscutting saw work, one piece at a time.;em

Nice horse. Looks like nice wood.

Fiskars doing the job.

Yours makes mine look like it came from the scrapyard.

Status
Not open for further replies.