My New Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

edyit

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2014
Wilmington NY
Last winter I was having some issues with our old stove (Magnolia 2015) so we limped it along the rest of the season. After looking at lots of different stoves and probably driving my wife completely insane in the process we both agreed on the Madison, myself on the size and the Englander quality and her on the price. I got a buddy to come help move the old stove out and the new stove in. Was quick and painless. The only major work i have to do is trim my flue pipe down a few inches since its a little taller than the old stove.

The first thing the fam noticed was "wow that glass is huge" and I must agree it has a big glass door that's gonna make for a nice fire view and some sweet radiant heat. I'm also looking forward to the AAS feature on it. If it works like I hope it does that will make loading it a lot easier by taking a lot of babysitting out of it. The ash pan on this is also very large and deep so it looks like it might be worth trying to use at least once. Looking forward to some cooler weather so I can get the break in fires going to "dry out" the bricks and cure the paint.

20170927_160223.jpg

Looking good. If possible get the break in fires done on days when you can open all the windows and run a fan to exhaust the fumes.

Reactions: bfitz3
Looking really good. Had a friend grow up in Lake Placid. Whiteface is my favorite eastern ski resort. Jealous of your location. You get to experience true winter! Where I live, Christmas feels like fall and it just isn't winter!

was 85F yesterday, been unseasonably warm here the past few weeks, as soon as the ~50F weather hits i can open the windows and do some break in fires. the candle is battery powered i usually put it in at the end of the season and click it on at night for the light.

You get to experience true winter!
very true, some of those winters i ask myself why i still do this ;hm

was 85F yesterday, been unseasonably warm here the past few weeks, as soon as the ~50F weather hits i can open the windows and do some break in fires. the candle is battery powered i usually put it in at the end of the season and click it on at night for the light.

very true, some of those winters i ask myself why i still do this ;hm
I like the candle. Thought I was the only one who put lights in stove. :)

just got the same stove, got the first burn done, on the second was real bad, did it when no body was there thankfully, i just went outside opened the windows and checked once in a while.
cant believe the heat though, normally start bringing wood in by now and its still to hot to move, i this this weekend looks like its going to cool down a little hope to get another trail done and start on the wood pile movement

so far really liking the madison, but all i ever had was a benjimen franklin growing up and a boxwood basically, i got 5 or 6 years ago. to supplement the furnace. really sick of the box wood and the code officer wouldnt let me put the old one in. so may be best i can run it longer on less wood, during "shoulder" season.

kinda funny, like the candle never thought of that. we have a log holder and ceramic bears in the old benjamin now.

Check another on the list for having the Madison. This will be my first year with it as well. I’ve gotten all my break in fires done and got to have a couple of over night fires. As for the AAS feature, I don’t trust it too set it and walk away. In my last break in fire I had the AAS set and the air control completely pulled out so once it got to temp it would burn low. The stove began to climb and climb and kept climbing till it hit 850’ F for about 45 min. I couldn’t figure out why it wouldnt shut down till I heard the click. After that the flames got lazy and the temp started to go down.

I’ve had a couple of fires since that and haven’t used the AAS feature, just shut the air down manually and have had great control of the stove. Just something to keep an out for.

Congrats on the new stove. Definitely get the break in fires over with. I am heating 2400 ish sqft with mine. I have not used the AAS, don't trust the 'set it and forget it', mode. By the time it gets up to temp I am usually still around the stove anyway. Better safe than sorry. I also have an ecofan, it does help move the air around, the blower that came with my stove is just to noisy for me.

i wouldn't use the AAS as a set and forget, more like a load it, set it, sit in the recliner watching the game with a cold one and not have to get up to turn it down kinda feature. After 14 years in the water filtration business i've learned not to completely rely on automation.

its ~52F here today so i decided to do some break in fires. opened all the windows, crumpled up some newspaper and put in about 12 or so pieces of split up 2x4 scrap leftovers from another project i had going. First thing i noticed is this stove is a much easier breathing stove than the old magnolia 2015 was. With that one at these temps you could expect to leave the door half open till you had coals left over from the kindling for the next reload. With this one i crumpled up some newspaper stacked some small splits of 2x4 on it then a few larger ones on that in kinda a tic tac toe figure, hit it with the lighter and away she went. left the door cracked a little till the 2x4's caught then shut it and just let it go till stt hit ~300F then closed her down and am letting it burn out. gonna let it cool then repeat the process getting it up to 500F this time. over all i must admit to being very satisfied so far and i havent even started really burning yet.