My new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitch

Mar 6, 2010
S.E. Pennsylvania
Well, after months of spending many hours reading through the wealth of information on this site I finally got my stove installed and up and running. As you will see, we picked a Harman XXV. It is installed in a "sunroom" that my wife has been wanting for a while and will have complete control over. If I am good, she might even let me come in to fill the hooper and do some cleaning. :)

I am using some Lignetics pellets that the installer brough with him. I "received" a ton of pellets with the purchase, so I need to go pick some more up. The place I got them from lets you pick them up as you need them, although I am tempted to go hunting for some better pricing (and maybe some Hamer's or Okies). I think they carry ACP's and was happy to see the Lignetics.

As you can see, there is nothing behind the stove yet. We picked a tile for behind the stove and it will be installed up to the ceiling. Had some delays on getting that installed.

Here are the before. The after. A closer pic and some ash from the pan. Looks like it is buring well (???)

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 543
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 527
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 526
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 525
Oh, I wanted to add that the installer told me that I should always leave the feeder at 4. If I change it to anything, he said I should change it to 5. Thoughts on that advice?

I have been running it on stove temp mode at 2. We don't really intend for this to be the primary heat for our house, but I noticed when we fired it up last Saturday, and the installer left it set pretty high, the furnace did not go on till the sun went down and it turned colder.

Also, we did get the OAK installed. Seemed like the right thing to do based upon the manufacturer's recommendations, what I read on here, and a need to satisfy the local inspector that the windows aren't too close (the distance from opening windows drops down to 18 inches when you are using an OAK).

So far, we are really happy and enjoying the heat. :) For some reason, the two times I laid down on that couch near the stove......I fell asleep. I'll have to investigate that some more and report back on what I learn.

Looks great. Please get the temp probe off the tile, you will be gioving a bad reading to the computer.

Eric

most harmans run great on 3 or 4. to test your feed rate, run the stove on 3 for an hour on stove temp on the highest heat setting. you are looking for an inch of ash in front of the coal bed, if you have less, turn the feed up one notch, if more than 1 inch, turn it down.

Hello

Congratulations. Very nice! Also like the shelf above, that makes it nice for candles and decorations!

I tiled the back of mine also so I will be very interested in seeing yours. :)

Keep up the good install and enjoy!!

Attachments

• PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 445
that is a very nice stove, enjoy the heat...!!

Very nice stove install.....looks great!

Can't see it, but I'm SURE you have a good quality surge protector attached to the power cord on that expensive stove, right?
The electronics don't like power spikes, surges, etc, etc.

Hitch said:
I have been running it on stove temp mode at 2. We don't really intend for this to be the primary heat for our house, but I noticed when we fired it up last Saturday, and the installer left it set pretty high, the furnace did not go on till the sun went down and it turned colder.

I bet pellets are cheaper than your furnace running. I'd keep that baby on high, this way your wife would be scantily clad when she's in her sunroom ;-)

Thanks all for the tips and comments. I will post up some more pics once the tile is installed (I don't seem to be high on their list).

smwilliamson said:
most harmans run great on 3 or 4. to test your feed rate, run the stove on 3 for an hour on stove temp on the highest heat setting. you are looking for an inch of ash in front of the coal bed, if you have less, turn the feed up one notch, if more than 1 inch, turn it down.

Thanks! I will have to wait for some colder weather to test out the feed rate. It was certainly too warm this weekend to run that test.

kinsman stoves said:
Looks great. Please get the temp probe off the tile, you will be gioving a bad reading to the computer.

Eric

Thanks Eric. For the time being, I hung it over the control/switch box that swings out. What would you suggest as a more permanent solution? The exhaust is, obviously, fairly hot and the OAK is, obviously quite cold. Cant' hang it on them. I did run a wire under the floor to the inside wall for a (possible future) thermostat. Right now, the other end is in one of those low voltage work boxes with a full face plate. Maybe I could connect the thermostat wire directly to the stove and then attach the probe to the other end and let it stick out of a face plate with a small hole? I think the installer said I could add up to 50 feet of wire.

imacman said:
Very nice stove install.....looks great!

Can't see it, but I'm SURE you have a good quality surge protector attached to the power cord on that expensive stove, right?
The electronics don't like power spikes, surges, etc, etc.

Thanks imacman. Hate to admit it, but I forgot about the surge protector....ugh! I ordered one off of Amazon last night and will get it plugged in ASAP.

Heaterhunter said:
Hitch said:

I bet pellets are cheaper than your furnace running. I'd keep that baby on high, this way your wife would be scantily clad when she's in her sunroom ;-)

LOL!

Nice choice in stove Hitch! ;-)

Looks great in that spot. Enjoy!

Congrats on the stove. Nice....

Status
Not open for further replies.