my new wood "shed"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

m0jumb0

Aug 1, 2008
Middle TN
got a new husky 22 ton splitter yesterday and cleaned up all the rounds I had stacked in around the yard. man this thing can go! got one of those canopy/carport things to cover my wood.. the tarps last year sucked. you're looking at just short of 5 cords. half is locust, the rest is misc crap I've scrounged. I'll probably put some tarps up to cover the windward side once it gets a little closer to burnin' time.

pict2482.jpg

and I'm sure I'm not the first one to think of this, but I came up with a novel (to me anyway) way to anchor my canopy. our winter winds are pretty bad up on this hill, so we'll see how things hold...

pict2484.jpg

You need a shingle splitter.

I've been looking at those (canopies) for a spot to work outside in all this darned rain we've had lateley.
Those anchors are sure better than those twisty things with rope.

m0jumb0 yeah all of a sudden this country can't even make a decent tarp...what the heck is going on? We use to get 2 maybe 3 years out of a tarp. Now if they finish the season I find myself making the sign of the cross. I sure do like the clean look of your storage area.

My wife has been asking me about something like that but I'm worried they won't hold up either so I'm looking forward to a followup report on your experience with that fabric. btw if you threw that wood up helter skelter in a pile you could store a lot more wood will less risk of a catastrophic collapse. A few may land slide...you may use a garden hoe occasionally.
3873825221_655fd7130a.jpg

Here's our pile for this season to show how the randomly thrown up splits interlock. Sometime around Thanksgiving we'll button it up with a tarp and lash it down. That's 8' tall so you can move freely with a wheelbarrow in there. The camera angle is doesn't do justice to it's size but it's 30' long and about 18' wide. Wood sits on gravel. Much time is saved with all the wood handling steps you eliminate too.

billb3: shingle splitter? for the house in the background? funny you should mention that, I just finished putting up cedar shingles on one side of the house last weekend. the back is next.

savageactor7: I'm too OCD to pile my wood up like that... I've got different species stacked together and it's a bit easier to calculate the volume of a cube rather than a pyramid :D Last winter was my first year buring 24x7 on my own (did it growing up, but as a kid you don't pay attention to wood consumption), and I really don't have a good handle on how much wood I burned last year. My best guess is around 3-4 cords.

Anyway, I'll definetly follow up with a report on how that canopy holds up. I wasn't too impressed with the thickness of the material, so I have my doubts. But the frame at least is useful. If the material fails, I can always buy a huge heavy duty tarp and cover it.

I like the dog guarding the pile.

Zap :coolgrin:

zapny said:

I can't for the life of me see where one of my dogs snuck into the picture.. I see a gray cat in the first picture, and a chicken in the second.

m0jumb0 said:
zapny said:

I can't for the life of me see where one of my dogs snuck into the picture.. I see a gray cat in the first picture, and a chicken in the second.

I think he's talking about Savage's pic.

I have a white canopy like that - Heavy Duty - that covers my wood on my pallet setup. Worked very well last year, including sides, except for that i have to be diligent in the snow removal or it may collapse.

You probably do not have to worry about snow...

CTwoodburner said:
I have a white canopy like that - Heavy Duty - that covers my wood on my pallet setup. Worked very well last year, including sides, except for that i have to be diligent in the snow removal or it may collapse.

You probably do not have to worry about snow...

yeah we don't have to worry too much about snow, especially over here in middle TN.. 3-6 inches is a blizzard around here and the grocery stores are sold out of bread and milk :D then it's all melted the next day

Status
Not open for further replies.