My not so great experience with FPX catalyst insert - Advice?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'll check with the manufacturer. The dealer thinks it's an overdraft issue because of the 30ft chimney. I guess I will see.
That’s a possibility. What can be done though? The manufacturer won’t approve any damper being added to one of their inserts.

Either the dealer or manufacturer needs to make it right. Dealer claims 30+ years experience so they can use that experience to fix it. If I could sell the insert, I would and use a different dealer and manufacturer.

My hybrid gets 10+ hours, its not always secondaries with a cat scrubbing, sometimes I go a couple hours on cat only burns, looks just like my BK did, then the flames start up, it goes back and forth.

That’s a possibility. What can be done though? The manufacturer won’t approve any damper being added to one of their inserts.

As I understand it, even if a manufacturer believes a damper will improve performance, law prevents from recommending it unless the stove was EPA-qualified with the damper. Bureaucratic BS, but their hands are tied.

Reactions: webby3650
I do measure on a fresh split with a meter I got from Home Depot, I forget the brand. I believe the firebox on these are 3 Cu ft and I'm getting 4 hours at best.

Wow... 3 cu.ft. is a very large stove. I’m getting 30+ hour burn times on 2.65 cu.ft. My old stoves were 3 cu.ft. and although a very old design, even they would go over 20 hours on a load.

... and I’m not going to argue with webby3650, he is a dealer, and knows more about stoves than any ten of us “regulars”. But hybrids ARE sometimes advertised to combine all of the advantages of both technologies, the long burn times and LHV efficiency of a cat stove, with the HHV efficiency of a tuber. Are you saying that none of the hybrids are hitting cat-like burn-times, BK Alien Tech aside? I thought the Progress Hybrid, and even the Cape Cod, were hitting some respectable burn times.

Wow... 3 cu.ft. is a very large stove. I’m getting 30+ hour burn times on 2.65 cu.ft. My old stoves were 3 cu.ft. and although a very old design, even they would go over 20 hours on a load.

... and I’m not going to argue with webby3650, he is a dealer, and knows more about stoves than any ten of us “regulars”. But hybrids ARE sometimes advertised to combine all of the advantages of both technologies, the long burn times and LHV efficiency of a cat stove, with the HHV efficiency of a tuber. Are you saying that none of the hybrids are hitting cat-like burn-times, BK Alien Tech aside? I thought the Progress Hybrid, and even the Cape Cod, were hitting some respectable burn times.
The PH seems to get good burn times, although I’ve been getting the idea that are going through cats too. The Cod? I’ve not heard of any real respectable burn times. Mine started off pretty good, good cat glow. Once the cat got a few months on it, no more glow.. Decent burn times, like overnight I had coals. Nothing like any of the Blaze Kings I’ve had, not even close!

Reactions: Ashful
Lucky me. I get the one manufacturer that makes a crappy insert sold by a clueless dealer.
It’s not crappy. Just a vulnerable design. Not unlike so many of the cat stoves from times past. Too many manufacturers stuck a cat
In their stoves just to pass emissions. I’m afraid we are seeing a repeat performance.

It’s not crappy. Just a vulnerable design. Not unlike so many of the cat stoves from times past. Too many manufacturers stuck a cat
In their stoves just to pass emissions. I’m afraid we are seeing a repeat performance.
You say it’s not crappy, but then go on to describe a pretty crappy design. Is it time to cut losses, Craigslist that thing, and shop for a better insert?

Hey Carlv123,
I just got the same insert and I'm not getting burn times any longer than 5 to 6 hours max. The stove puts out great heat, but I am kinda disappointed my burns aren't longer. I feel I'm doing everything correctly... get it running hot, engage cat and close it down, but still only get 5 or 6 hours. I also noticed tonight that the left side of the cat isn't glowing.... I'm hoping its just ash blocking it. I thought I was getting the Cadillac of inserts, now I'm not so sure. I'm trying to keep an open mind, but like Ashful says, I'm wondering if it's a flawed design.

This is my forth ( I believe) year with insert and I'm on my second cat. Just changed it this year. Could probably go another year with old one . But decided to upgrade. Mine started to crumble in a middle as well. I believe that direct contact with flame caused it when packing the stove to fullest . This time I put steel plate with small holes (3/8) in front of my cat as a protection . I know, its not part of design, blah.. blah. , but every other cat stove has it and I don't see why mine should be exemption. I understand that hole size is not optimal, as no scientific research behind it. But better some kind of protection than nothing.

I probably should've done a better job researching cat stoves before buying, but the wife loved this stoves flush look, plus the dealer couldn't say enough good things about it and the manufacturer. Having to replace a piece that costs 250 bucks every two years is ridiculous! I'd be interested to know how that "shield" works out for you and how you secured it. Also how thick the steel is and how many holes you drilled.

I probably should've done a better job researching cat stoves before buying, but the wife loved this stoves flush look, plus the dealer couldn't say enough good things about it and the manufacturer. Having to replace a piece that costs 250 bucks every two years is ridiculous! I'd be interested to know how that "shield" works out for you and how you secured it. Also how thick the steel is and how many holes you drilled.
Hey, don't get discouraged . It's not bad of insert. I heat my 2000 sq ft 24/7 loading it 3 times when it's cold in CT with subpar wood. It has flaws but it still decent heater and by far best looking insert on a market to this day. I bought steel plate on ebay, Made L form of it and put between tube and baffle. Sits like it was there from start.;)

Hey Carlv123,
I just got the same insert and I'm not getting burn times any longer than 5 to 6 hours max. The stove puts out great heat, but I am kinda disappointed my burns aren't longer. I feel I'm doing everything correctly... get it running hot, engage cat and close it down, but still only get 5 or 6 hours. I also noticed tonight that the left side of the cat isn't glowing.... I'm hoping its just ash blocking it. I thought I was getting the Cadillac of inserts, now I'm not so sure. I'm trying to keep an open mind, but like Ashful says, I'm wondering if it's a flawed design.

I just bought a attachment to blow the cat out with a compressor. Not too high pressure but enough to get it clear. I'll update as to how well it works.

Just curious, how high is your chimney?

I just bought a attachment to blow the cat out with a compressor
I was thinking about dust blower , like used for computer keyboard

I was thinking about dust blower , like used for computer keyboard
That's what Ive used but would be interested to hear what Carlv uses.

That's what Ive used but would be interested to hear what Carlv uses.
Is it safe to use aerosol computer dust blower to clean the cat? I understand it's not just pure air under pressure but something else

Typically vacuuming is better as it removes any fly ash. Using compressed air moves the fly ash behind the combustor and then it still needs to be removed at some point. Depending upon your draft, it could be pulled up and out....

What I think is happening is because of the real strong draft, when I start from cold I can see sparks and such still being drawn into the cold cat even with the bypass open. Once it reaches temp and the bypass is closed, the cat glows red from the direct flames hitting it. When I cut down the air, I think one of two things or both are happening. 1, the cat is clogged and the temp on the probe drops or 2, the secondaries provide enough air with the strong draw to cool the cat.

I'm going to try and blow the cat out every night before a long burn to see what happens.

Wow, that sounds tedious. I know I’m sounding like a broken record, as I already said this in posts 7, 9, 15, and 17 of this thread: you need a key damper. I had the same troubles with one of my stoves, until I installed the damper. Now it is resolved. You’ll also want a manometer, so you’re not driving blind. Dial it to around 0.05” WC on high, it will naturally climb as you reduce draft.

Wow, that sounds tedious. I know I’m sounding like a broken record, as I already said this in posts 7, 9, 15, and 17 of this thread: you need a key damper. I had the same troubles with one of my stoves, until I installed the damper. Now it is resolved. You’ll also want a manometer, so you’re not driving blind. Dial it to around 0.05” WC on high, it will naturally climb as you reduce draft.

That is what the dealer suggested. They are supposed to come out here at some point in Jan

That is what the dealer suggested. They are supposed to come out here at some point in Jan
I'll be curious to see if and how they implement this on your insert.

Do they make key dampers with long rods, or do you have to fabricate one on the spot? Seems like an appliance adaptor with a built-in damper and an adjustable extension rod should be on the market, it would be ideal for inserts requiring one.