My not so wonderful install experience

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kaymac

Dec 30, 2017
Long Island, NY
After looking around and reading here from this great resource I decided I liked the look and ability of the Hampton Hi300. I took extensive measurements of my existing open fireplace and brought them to the dealer to figure out what insert would fit and to make sure there wouldn't be an issue with the install. The salesman replied every time I asked for a block off plate "we always do a block off plate". I also told him that I was willing to pay extra to have insulation. He insisted it wasn't necessary here on LI due to the mild climate. Evidently it is common here not to visit the location prior to the install to see exactly what they are dealing with and I questioned that multiple times. I think the problem here on Long Island is that the stove and fireplace shops here mostly specialize in gas inserts, gas fireplaces and outdoor kitchens now days. I'm pretty sure they don't install wood inserts or stoves very often. They don't offer a great selection either so if you are set on a certain insert you pretty much are stuck with a certain dealer.

Install day was the Saturday before Thanksgiving. They showed up early 10 am and brought insulation so that was a good sign. They proceeded to do their thing and suddenly there was an issue and needed a different adapter due to the depth of my flue even though I had provided the dealer with all my fireplace measurements. So they left to get adapter. Of course that adapter didn't work so they left again to do a gas fireplace install in the next town. Then I get a phone call that an Uber driver is dropping off another part and they will be back later to finish the installation. The Uber driver dropped off an offset adapter (see picture). They returned at 4 pm and proceeded to continue the install. As they got closer to finishing the install I asked about the block off plate. They acted as if they had no idea what I was talking about. I told them that I didn't want them to finish the install without the block off plate so they were told to stop working.

I called the dealer numerous times and that only went to voice mail without a return call. Suddenly one of them appeared with a piece of sheet metal and proceeded to create the block off. This was such an ordeal. Hopefully the install was good enough. I am concerned about cleaning my flue with the offset adapter and wonder how I will find a chimney sweep here that will know how to deal with it.

So far the fire starts up very easy and there appears to be a good draft. I am fortunate to have a good source of seasoned firewood here. I use it on the weekends and holidays and have had a few fires so far between weather (too warm here) and work.

Attachments

• 20181215_135220.jpg
    20181215_135220.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 172
So did they insulate the liner? I can't stand those offset adapters. They can work if you have enough height to overcome the loss in draft

Some before and after

Attachments

• 20181215_181231.jpg
    20181215_181231.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 150
  • 20181120_101741.jpg
    20181120_101741.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 146
  • 20181008_153941.jpg
    20181008_153941.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 150
No they did not insulate the liner, said it wasn't necessary. At least I won the block off plate battle.
Did they check to see if your chimney has the required clearances?

I had the mantle surround removed to the clearances in the manual. I'm sure they did not check to see if my chimney had required clearances.

I had the mantle surround removed to the clearances in the manual. I'm sure they did not check to see if my chimney had required clearances.
Then how did they know you done require insulation? I can all but garantee you do need insulation to meet code

This may be a dumb question but I have never had a insert so forgive my ignorance. How would you clean inside that block off plate.

This may be a dumb question but I have never had a insert so forgive my ignorance. How would you clean inside that block off plate.
You don't clean inside it. That area is completely isolated

What a nightmare. You could have it inspected by a qualified inspector (maybe a chimney sweep?) And if it is not up to code then you would have grounds to demand that they insulate the liner. Get a printed copy of the inspiration report.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Reactions: kaymac
This was a year ago, right? Did you heat with it all of last season?

You shouldnt have creosote buildup that low to affect the offset adapter unless you burn seriously chronically wrong. When it gets cleaned you will have to adequately vacuum out the fallen debris though. Shouldnt be a problem if you remember to do it.

You shouldnt have creosote buildup that low to affect the offset adapter unless you burn seriously chronically wrong. When it gets cleaned you will have to adequately vacuum out the fallen debris though. Shouldnt be a problem if you remember to do it.

The other thing that could put creosote in that offset adapter is if anyone ever, for any reason... sweeps the chimney.

What in the world. How are you supposed to clean that out? (I am sure @bholler knows!)

I could clean it if it was on my stove, but I can actually stick my hand in the flue collar from the front on my stove. I doubt that's true of everyone's stove.

Have you ever cleaned an insert with one of these offset adapters in? They are a real pita.

Reactions: moresnow
… Have you ever cleaned an insert with one of these offset adapters in? They are a real pita …

That's what my chimney guy said, too.

I measured where my insert opening is and saw that it offset from where the liner would drop down. I bought 15-degree and 30-degree adapters, to see if he wanted to use them. He used the 30-degree adapter.

Reactions: Nigel459
I made a specialized snorkel for cleaning the intakes on the newer gas fired water heaters. I am sure that something could be devised to clean the fallen creosote debris. It would just be laying there. Wouldnt be stuck unless the stove was fired after a sweep. Maybe stick a leaf blower on the top of the chimney and blast it out....I'M KIDDING!!!!! dont try it. LOL