My Old Resolute rebuild, two piece fireback

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheshe

Oct 13, 2016
Cape Cod
I have all the pieces out and cleaned up and I cleaned out all the tubes with the old cement in them. My question is,..1st issue: Do I have to put any cement or anything around the left and right side pieces that hold the lower fireback in place. I know to replace cement in the tubes before I put the lower fireback in place. But is that it. for those three pieces?

2nd issue:Damper and damper handle was junk. could not figure it out. So, does anyone have any pics of the adjustable damper linkage installed. How is it adjustable. What position does the damper handle have to be in. Is 12 o'clock open and 6 o'clock closed? And what o'clock is it for adjustable?

and # 3: Also anyone have pics of installing the thermostat on the back of stove. Waiting for new parts to be delivered to complete rebuild. Any comments will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't need cement for left or right inserts, they just sit in there.

Are you replacing a 1 piece fireback with the 2 piece?

Hey Defiant3 thanks for your reply. Yes I am replacing a one piece with a two piece. Long story but I have the two piece fireback with attached damper from a Resolute 3 that is junk. The flue collar and flue collar extention cannot be attached to the resolute 3 because there is nothing to attache it to. All rusted away. Im guessing previous owner did not have a chimney cap. So anyway, the guts were good in the 3 and I am putting them into a 2 I got with the drop down door. In the 2, the damper was junk, so between the two stoves I can rebuild. I already laid on the pieces in and they all fit. Just need to get some cement. I know I have to drill two holes in the back to hold the upper fireback.

I have an Intrepid II with cat that I rebuilt and love it. That thing can be roaring with barely a hint coming out of the chimney. Burns very clean. Only downside. I have to get up half asleep in the middle of the night to reload or I wake up freezing after fire goes out. So I'll set up the Intrepid in my garage. Appreciate any words of wisdom on my Resolute project. thanks Again Sheshe

I see, good work!! So some Res. III's did not come with an adjustable linkage. It's pretty evident how it works, so I'm thinking maybe yours isn't adjustable? which is fine, just put it in anyway and try it. Prolly work.

Adj. linkage has a bolt through it which joins the 2 pieces of it. There's like an oval hole so you can loosen the bolt, stretch or shrink it, then snug up again. See the bolt? You might not...

Usually, 12:00 is open, 6:00 closed. It can sometimes be off by "an hour" or so though.

Sounds like good clean fun!!

The linkage in both the 2 and 3 were junk. they were identical. No bolt in the middle and the one I ordered on line was adjustable. There were no other options to order. Don't have it yet. I see the bolt your talking about online right in the middle So when someone adjusts it, it is just to keep the damper correctly fully open or correctly fully closed. Just to tweak it. ok now I get it. Thank you Defiant3. ok moving on. I'll post pics when done.

Still have to figure out the thermostat install when I get the parts order.

Status
Not open for further replies.