My price per cord is dropping!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
San Tan Valley, AZ
Last year, my first year burning, I bought 5 cords at $200 a cord. $1000 total.

This year, so far, I have acquired 7 cords for a TOTAL of $200. I hope to grab as much wood as possible while the gettin' is good. My goal is 20 cords, though I will probably fall short.

Make sure that your massive stockpile is kept nice and dry and off the ground so you don't end up just feeding termites, or carpenter ants.

ControlFreak said:
Make sure that your massive stockpile is kept nice and dry and off the ground so you don't end up just feeding termites, or carpenter ants.

Thanks for the tip, but I already planned for it. I already have four good size tarps to lay over the top of the stacks, bunch of wood pallets, some long wood planks and flat stone to raise the planks off of the ground.

Any recommendations for a good splitting ax, as I will be coming across some wood that will need to be split.

Ya, the Fiskars is really bragged up on this forum. I've not used one so can't say. I used to do all the splitting by hand and used a double bitted axe for most of it. A sledge and wedges for the tough stuff. Someone bought me a splitting maul and I used it some but I still preferred the axe. Now I much prefer the hydraulic splitter!

You have your work cut out for you if you plan on getting 20 cords on hand. Good luck to you even if it takes you a few years to get there. We have 20-25 cords and it is really nice to burn wood that is 4 or more years old. You get maximum heat from it and the stove operates like it should. And, you clean the chimney a lot less too.

Yesterday I went back to the woods and cut a bunch of poles that I'll use to stack this year's wood on. Using poles like that is, shall we say, less expensive! Now I just have to find the ambition to start the stacking....and some dry air. The wood is wet now from the weekend snow and more snow fell today.

Backwoods Savage said:
Yesterday I went back to the woods and cut a bunch of poles that I'll use to stack this year's wood on. Using poles like that is, shall we say, less expensive!

Yep, I know what you mean. My "pallets" are actually sections of the crappy wood fence that the previous owner put up...Which I took down within the first three months. Additionally I have plenty of field stone. So I have a bunch of make-shift pallets, wood planks and stone spacer to keep everything off the ground. I also pile up the bigger stones at the end of each wood stack for support.

My goal this year was to get my price per cord down to about $90-$100. I am way ahead of that. I am quite the happy camper.

Now, if I can only stop telling the guy at the garden center that I want a five "cords" of mulch. I've done this on three separate occasions. It's gotten to the point that he has stopped asking what I mean and just replies with "you mean yards, right".

If you could get him to deliver a cord of mulch for the same price as a yard that would be great !

Tell us about the 1 1/2 dozen firearms. Are you a collector?

Hurricane said:
If you could get him to deliver a cord of mulch for the same price as a yard that would be great !

Yes it would be!

stockdoct said:
Tell us about the 1 1/2 dozen firearms. Are you a collector?

A collector in the sense of I like all firearms. Nothing in terms of investment pieces, though. Think of it as golf. One golf club is fine and all, but it is a lot more fun when you have a set of clubs. Same thing with firearms.

if you got that much wood for that price your stealing it!

Hence........... the guns.

(Kidding) :)

And I just picked up another 2+ cords for $75!

So, are you guys saying I should stop showing up to places asking if they have any cheap wood with my Browning 1919 mounted to the hood of my truck?

BrowningBAR said:

So, are you guys saying I should stop showing up to places asking if they have any cheap wood with my Browning 1919 mounted to the hood of my truck?
you sure your talking about a cord of wood 128 cu ft. you work very fast if you moved 2 cords in an afternoon

smokinj said:
BrowningBAR said:

you sure your talking about a cord of wood 128 cu ft. you work very fast if you moved 2 cords in an afternoon

I didn't have to move it. This is being delivered to my home on Saturday.

I don't start moving the other 7-8 cords until Friday and it will probably take me a week or so to make enough trips to get it all back to my property.

BrowningBAR said:
smokinj said:
BrowningBAR said:

I don't start moving the other 7-8 cords until Friday and it will probably take me a week or so to make enough trips to get it all back to my property.
i have 6 cords on a 20ft by 20ft concrete slab and it is piled about 5 ft high. If they are delivering you 2 cords of wood for 75.00 it would take 2 dump truck loads I cant see anyone that could afford to sell at that price

smokinj said:
BrowningBAR said:
smokinj said:
BrowningBAR said:

i have 6 cords on a 20ft by 20ft concrete slab and it is piled about 5 ft high. If they are delivering you 2 cords of wood for 75.00 it would take 2 dump truck loads I cant see anyone that could afford to sell at that price

Actually, 2 cords can fit in a large dump truck. I had 5 cords delivered (two at a time and then a single cord later) to my home this past fall and each truck load could fit two cords. And when I stacked it 4x4x8 stacks one delivery was a little over and the other delivery was a little under and the third (single cord) was pretty much dead on.

The two cords being delivered is from a private seller who took down some trees. He had a little over 3 cords and someone bought a cord from him. I am taking the remaining wood.

BrowningBAR said:
smokinj said:
BrowningBAR said:
smokinj said:
BrowningBAR said:

Actually, 2 cords can fit in a large dump truck. I had 5 cords delivered (two at a time and then a single cord later) to my home this past fall and each truck load could fit two cords. And when I stacked it 4x4x8 stacks one delivery was a little over and the other delivery was a little under and the third (single cord) was pretty much dead on.

The two cords being delivered is from a private seller who took down some trees. He had a little over 3 cords and someone bought a cord from him. I am taking the remaining wood.

dude thats awsome If i could find a deal like that i would give them all my equiment for free if they would lock me in a price like that for next 10 years my back is killing me and iam only 6 cords into it!(it cost me 30 bucks a cord to do it myself)

smokinj said:
BrowningBAR said:
smokinj said:
BrowningBAR said:
smokinj said:
BrowningBAR" date="1239241380 said:

dude thats awsome If i could find a deal like that i would give them all my equiment for free if they would lock me in a price like that for next 10 years my back is killing me and iam only 6 cords into it!(it cost me 30 bucks a cord to do it myself)

Well the 7-8 cords that I need to pick up myself should be interesting. I believe most of it is unslpit. Last year was my first year burning. This year will be my first year splitting.

And if that guy had more cords available I would have bought even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.