My rebuilt Resolute Acclaim is sold to a forum member

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

Mikethomas was the first to contact me and sold his aging Resolute instead of attempting to rebuild his.
I sorry to imform the 10 others that expressed interest. I wish I had 10 more stoves to rebuild for them
I'm going to check out some dealers that swap out stoves to see what they do with the removed stoves.
If there are any decent canidates for rebuilding, I may pick up a couple. They would have to be UL and EPA
labled and approved, brand name with the ability to get parts.

Hey Carp did you sell that Jotul yet

I read thru your rebuild posting. Looks good. I bought a house recently that has an acclaim, but the damper assembly was warped. I guess they didn't clean the back area regularly. I bought a new assembly $125 Canadian, gasket kit and replaced the secondary combustion chamer (back are of stove) that had fallen apart with firebrick. (put bricks on top to force heat to the back sides like the combustion chamber would've). Anyway, works like a dream! FYI. If your interested I can post a pic.

Can I ask how much you sold that acclaim for?

SHEP

I bought it for $700. I sold my circa 1984 resolute for $500. I am very happy with the deal

glad it helped another post the picturesa wee all like to see sucess stories and the fruits of your labor./

Did yo read how to test the seans and gasket leakage. Replacing the damper and gasket is great but I think you have to find the cause the dampoer warped
I suspect seams or other gasket replacing Hopefully other gasket replacement. One area is the griddle top gasket last about 4 years using top loading.
the door gaskets of adjusting the door latch and finally the glass gaskets

I can't say for sure what caused the original warping. I did visit a vermont castings autho'd dealer and he said that that can happen to the acclaim if the unit is not cleaned in behind, where the secondary combustion chamber is. The heat would not be able to vent out the sides of the combustion chamber and be forced to stay in the center of the stove...ie the damper area. He said that if I filled that area with firebrick, it would not be a safety concern, but that the unit would not be as efficient. (The combustion chamber sells for $400! Can't afford that right now, and they stove is otherwise working acceptibly)

I replaced the gasketing in the glass, door, griddle and around the top/back of the unit...where smoke leaves the stove and heads into the flu. It was a "gasket kit" for that stove. The stove does not leak smoke at all right now. However, I only get sustained temps of about 325 degrees when the damper is closed...I think that might be a bit low. I think thats because the combustion chamber is gone though.

HOW DO I TEST???

I've run it about 4-5 times now and all in all it works great. Although I think I need to re-cement my firebrick in the top/back again, so the exhaust continues to be forced to stay in the stove longer. I'm watching it VERY closely, I agree...safety first!

Thanks for the advice!

SHEP

Status
Not open for further replies.