jwise87 Posted By jwise87, Jan 8, 2018 at 7:20 AM

1. jwise87

jwise87
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 21, 2017
    Loc:
    Southern Illinois
    I started by tracking down the tanks I would need to put the boiler together. I had a 250 gallon anhydrous tank that would be the fire box but I needed a larger tank to be the water jacket. I determined that the cheapest route would be to buy a 500 or 1000 gallon anhydrous tanks, so I watched the agricultural auction sites until I found one two and a half hours away for $200.

IMG_1472.jpg

IMG_1489.jpg

I had built another one of these for our old house a few years back so I pretty well knew how I wanted to do it. I first considered using the entire 1000 gallon tank, but I decided that so much water wouldn't be practical, so I started by cutting the big tank in half. I then cut the end off the little one and took measurements for the end plate. I went to a local fab shop and had one cut out.

IMG_1604.jpg

IMG_1611.jpg

IMG_1616.jpg

IMG_1619.jpg

Getting the plate on was harder than I expected it to be because it turned out that the smaller tank was not exactly round. I got it tacked on and then flipped it over and welded it solid. The next step is welding the chimney pipe into the fire box before inserting it into the jacket.

I have more done than this and I will get it posted tonight hopefully.

2. jwise87

jwise87
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 21, 2017
    Loc:
    Southern Illinois
    IMG_1661.jpg

IMG_1670.jpg

IMG_1680.jpg

IMG_1684.jpg

IMG_1667.jpg

On my last stove the flue went straight out the top and was only in the water jacket 3", on this one I wanted to run it out the back so it would be in the water jacket over three feet. I knew that I needed something that wouldn't be prone to failure so I used an old oxygen bottle that I cut the ends off of. One of the hardest parts was figuring out how to cut the hole the right size and in the right place. I needed to cut a circular hole in the rounded end of the tank and it took some trial and error. I put the burn chamber inside the jacket and centered it. I then inserted the flue through both and tacked it to the inner chamber. I then removed the inner chamber and welded it fully before setting the water jacket over the top of inner chamber and the flue. Me not being a fabricator by trade, and this being the real world, my end plate and my outer chamber were gaped open on one side. I used my crane to hold the tank where it would put pressure on the plate and close the gap. Luckily I'm a function over form guy.

3. warno

warno
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 3, 2015
    Loc:
    illinois
    Pretty basic tank in tank design. Nothing wrong with that. You must have liked your original one enough to build another. If i ever build a another one it's going to be a gasser.

How much wood per season did you go through and how many SQ/FT were you heating with the other one?

4. jwise87

jwise87
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 21, 2017
    Loc:
    Southern Illinois
    I was heating a newer 2400 sq/ft house with the old one and this one will be doing a house maybe half that size. I used the other one three years and it burned what I would consider an acceptable amount. I was bad about not getting my wood cut very far in advance so I never actually figured out how many cords per year I was using. In 30 to 45 degree temps, which is average around here, I would put in around 4 to 5 splits 36" long twice a day. I loaded before I went to work and when I got home. I think I can make this one more efficient than my last one. Simple was what I was going for.

warno likes this.
  5. jwise87

jwise87
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 21, 2017
    Loc:
    Southern Illinois
    Warno, I read your first few threads on here and your build thread, guys were pretty rough on you in the beginning. Did you get yours working as good as you wanted to?

6. warno

warno
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 3, 2015
    Loc:
    illinois
    Yes, yes they were. But my boiler build went well. I have a build thread of mine on here. Mine is still a work in progress. I'm working on getting secondary burn now. I have plans of adding more fire brick and going to induced draft for better control of my burn.

Both my boiler build and storage thread are on here.

7. sportbikerider78

sportbikerider78
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 23, 2014
    Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    I love the backyard engineering. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. salecker

salecker
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 22, 2010
    Loc:
    Northern Canada
    I call it imaginering.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    jwise87 likes this.