jwise87 Posted By jwise87, Jan 8, 2018 at 7:20 AM

1. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Yes, mainly the tendency for moisture to creep in over time. Maybe not much time at all in certain conditions. Maybe not much moisture at all in other conditions.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. salecker

salecker
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 22, 2010
    Loc:
    Northern Canada
    Plus the thought of constantly losing BTU's to the ground.
    With no load my temps hardly drop on the loop to the house.Sometimes it's is hard to measure a difference with a IR gun,i know they arn't very accurate.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. warno

warno
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 3, 2015
    Loc:
    illinois
    What's your plans to insulate the boiler?

4. jwise87

jwise87
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 21, 2017
    Loc:
    Southern Illinois
    The dream would be to have it spray foamed, but alas my budget won't allow that. I will cover it with pink insulation, it won't look good but it will work. When I built my first stove I ran it the first month or so with no building around it, one night it snowed and when I looked out there was snow piled on the pink insulation and it wasn't melting.

5. warno

warno
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 3, 2015
    Loc:
    illinois

Nothing wrong with that. My boiler has an insulation wrap. I used rock wool instead of pink panther though. As long as you get as much coverage as possible that's all that matters.

6. warno

warno
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 3, 2015
    Loc:
    illinois
  7. jwise87

jwise87
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 21, 2017
    Loc:
    Southern Illinois
    Acceptable. I'm not sure how good my internal circulation is in the tank, I need to add more temp sensor to see. Worst comes to worse I will change my port configuration after this season or add a circulator to the tank its self. It hasn't really been cold here yet so it hasn't got a good test, but it has been keeping my house warm for a week and I can go 12-14 hours between loadings with the junk wood I've been burning. I didn't have any wood cut prior to this so I have been burning half rotten logs I drug out of the woods and standing dead trees that were near my house. I don't have any neighbors so smoke isn't an issue and I made sure that I got a really tall chimney so my wife wouldn't complain.

warno likes this.