My stove top and my top load feature can i get an accurate stove top reading?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bub381

Minister of Fire
Feb 4, 2011
Mid-coast Maine
Whereas i have this 6" or so space between the steel baffle supporting the 2ndarys and top load inner door and the stove top.The flame and smoke come through the gap in the front of this plate,will the air between the plate and stove top be cooler than a stove without this space? I'm sure there's some difference.I suppose stove top is stove top.

Bub, you could get an IR gun and then take measurements on various parts of the stove. It can be an eye opener. On your stove I am not sure where would be the best place for a thermometer.

Be forewarned, once you have the IR it can become addictive- you will be shooting walls, ceilings, doorways, the heat travel path through the house.......heck, I even did an IR test on the wife-she isn't quite cooked yet :)

Remkel said:
Be forewarned, once you have the IR it can become addictive- you will be shooting walls, ceilings, doorways, the heat travel path through the house.......heck, I even did an IR test on the wife-she isn't quite cooked yet :)

Oh, is there a "bun in the oven"? ;) :) Hehheh.

Bub381 said:
Whereas i have this 6" or so space between the steel baffle supporting the 2ndarys and top load inner door and the stove top.The flame and smoke come through the gap in the front of this plate,will the air between the plate and stove top be cooler than a stove without this space? I'm sure there's some difference.I suppose stove top is stove top.

Accurate is a relative term and will depend on the thermometer as well as location. I would try the back center of the lid for a while. You could try several spots on the top and choose the location that best represents the average stove top temp. Or just call Jotul and ask where they recommend locating it.

Eventually, as you get used to the stove you will rely on your eyes and the fire more than the thermometer(s).

I have an IR and 2 stovetop therm's.Jotul suggests back corner of griddle.Hottest spots are half way along each side of the griddle on the strips of cast.On sides of griddle not back or front.

firefighterjake said:
Remkel said:

Oh, is there a "bun in the oven"? ;) :) Hehheh.

No, no bun in the oven......just looking to see if she is hot for me anymore......:)
After shooting her with the IR, she was hot alright, but I think it was "steaming" as opposed to "red".....

decided to leave the room and let her cool off.

cmonSTART said:
You're going to be sleeping in the basement tonight, Remkel.

By the warmth of the stove :)

Status
Not open for further replies.