My stove won't stay lit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well, that didn't work either :(

i jumped every switch one at a time, and same effect.

looks like i gotta order the house call :(

Tech came out n saturday. Ran a bunch of tests. Narrowed it down to the control board being faulty.

went today to pick up the part (tech didn't have one on him), put it in, and the exact same thing still happens :(

If you put a new proof of fire switch in and also tried jumping that switch I would say it is not a switch problem. If you put a new control board in it can't be that. I would check the wires that go to the proof of fire switch to make sure they weren't damaged or disconnected in cleaning or trying to figure out what is going on. If those wires look good it could be in the connection from the wiring harness to the control board.

I Finally got this resolved.

After the tech came out and everything was still not working, i decided to take the whole thing apart. 5 min into it, i noticed that the wire to the ignitor had melted itself to the chassis, and thus, was grounding out. During moving/cleaning/etc i must've pulled that wire out of the zip tie.
Electrical taped it up, put it back together, re-zip tied it out of the way, and bingo. stove works mint. been off and on 3 times now for cleaning. starts right up and stays lit.

So, the tech was probably right-- the control board was fried. This ground out wire probably fried it. Luckily, my new control board was not damaged and still works fine.

Back to the original problem that it all started when i cleaned it... yup. it was my fault. I must've pulled it out of the fireplace a little too much which caused the wire to fall out of the zip tie and eventually melt and ground out.

Glad you finally got it resolved. Hope you didn't throw the old control board out...I'd re-install it and see if it still works....nice to have a spare.

no, they took it in when i 'warantied' for the new one at no cost.

no, it was free. The only cost was the 160 gallons of oil i burned while my stove was out of commission :( just happened to be the 2-3 coldest weeks of the year too :(

briansol said:
no, it was free. The only cost was the 160 gallons of oil i burned while my stove was out of commission :( just happened to be the 2-3 coldest weeks of the year too :(

At least oil is cheaper than last year. THese stoves are a great solution to cut cost of heating. But it does take time to learn about them.

SOB!
i shut it down to clean out the ash and burn pot yesterday, and i'm having the exact same problem again. Cannot get it to stay on.

maybe it was a lucky stint before :(

back to oil, and back to the dealer again...

ugh.

i don't even want this thing anymore. more trouble than its worth.

briansol said:
SOB!
i shut it down to clean out the ash and burn pot yesterday, and i'm having the exact same problem again. Cannot get it to stay on.

maybe it was a lucky stint before :(

back to oil, and back to the dealer again...

ugh.

i don't even want this thing anymore. more trouble than its worth.

Are pellets being fed? Auto ignite working? Does it get hot enough to turn to auto run?

Here's exactly what happens.

off
turn on
push start button
pellets feed/ ignitor glows
fire :)
5 min later, it just stops feeding, and eventually burns out due to lack of fuel to burn.

i've tried all settings from 1 to 5, tried manually stuffing the burn pot with a handful of fuel to maybe prolong the burn, same thing. it just stops feeding.

Eventunally, it will throw 2 short blinks, which equates to 'out of pellets' according to my manual.
Duh. it ran out because you stopped feeding it!

briansol said:
Here's exactly what happens.

off
turn on
push start button
pellets feed/ ignitor glows
fire :)
5 min later, it just stops feeding, and eventually burns out due to lack of fuel to burn.

i've tried all settings from 1 to 5, tried manually stuffing the burn pot with a handful of fuel to maybe prolong the burn, same thing. it just stops feeding.

Eventunally, it will throw 2 short blinks, which equates to 'out of pellets' according to my manual.
Duh. it ran out because you stopped feeding it!

SO due to lack of heat the auger stops feeding? THere must be a sensor that decides that. IF the auger does work at the start then it shouldn't be the problem. How is the air flow? slider damper setting? What typr of flame are youi getting in 5 minutes?

I've jumped all snap switches one at a time, and the same result happens. It almost can't be a sensor. The tech did it too when he was out at the house.

Air flow is fine. It's an insert, and my chimey and the room its in is only one story + the peak of the house... 18 feet probably. The tech also adjusted/played with my damper and ended up back where it was. Mind you, i burned well over a ton and a half on the damper setting it was on with no issues. So, I don't think the damper is at fault.

Flame is good. It rolls up GREAT, burns like crazy... then it just stops feeding it.

Actually, i'll go take a movie and post it on youtube.

back in 15 :)

lol, it never fails. the ONE time i want to to not start like it's been doing so i can show you guys, and it actually works as it should. :shrug: i'm not going to turn it off now just to show. There's obviously something wrong, but i don't know what. I should be able to get 4 or 5 days out of this burn before the ash needs to be cleaned out. So, we'll see if it stays on for that long i guess.

Seems like maybe a loose wire. They are very sensitive and with an insert they get banged around when you pull it out for cleaning.
I wish the insert where designed with small wheels on the base for pulling out easier.

Follow the wiring from that blank blank snap disk to the control panel with the stove off and unplugged.

Re seat every connection along that path.

Well, it ran all week. Last sunday it finally started.
Today, i had to shut it down to clean it out.

Of course, now i can't get it started again.

please save-as. streaming it will wreak havoc on my server.

Thanks

a day later, and every 15 min re-trying, it finally kicked over. :shrug: something's wack with it.

Yes, it was the exhaust convection blower snap switch. I must've jumped it wrong.

Bumping this back up.

guess what popped again? yep- proof of fire snap switch is toast.

Why am I going through these once a year?

briansol said:
Bumping this back up.

guess what popped again? yep- proof of fire snap switch is toast.

Why am I going through these once a year?

Get a ceramic one they can take the continuous high temperatures better than the bakelite/plastic ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.