My Summits finally at dealer!!!!!!!!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogwildz

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dealer called today, My Summit insert has arrived. Picking it up Saturday!!!!! I feel like a lil kid at Xmas time.
I didn't order the liner yet. Gotta get a rough measurment of how much I need. Thats a done deal in the next couple days.
Still a lil apprehensive on what I will or will not run into when I pull the old insert out. Scary thoughts running amuck in my head LOL.
I am sure I will be asking for all kinds of advice when the install time comes. I'll keep you all posted. wish me luck!

Wooohooo! Take lot's of pics Hogwildz. With any luck an d a little thought, the install will only happen once. Pics not only allow you to reminisce, and share your joy with the rest of us, of course, but are also useful down the road when you can't quite remember how everything went together, or in case you need to troubleshoot something. I thought I took enough of mine, but there are times when Summit questions come up that I wish I had taken more before and during installation.

Pictures ! Keep us posted . Ya better getz on that liner brotherman .......The logs are-a-waiting.

Willhound said:
Wooohooo! Take lot's of pics Hogwildz. With any luck an d a little thought, the install will only happen once. Pics not only allow you to reminisce, and share your joy with the rest of us, of course, but are also useful down the road when you can't quite remember how everything went together, or in case you need to troubleshoot something. I thought I took enough of mine, but there are times when Summit questions come up that I wish I had taken more before and during installation.

How right you are!!!! I took some shots of the existing with the ugly painted blue brick wall, I am going to photoshop it with the cultured stone I want to do, just to get an idea. I'll share that, whenever I get the time to do it. That will take some time. I am extremely nervous/excited at the same time. This is my cherry popping installation LOL. I am still a virgin at something it seems LOL. Not for long though. I will have to rely on me and the ol lady to get it in the house. I have a furniture moving dolly I am going to try and utilize. I want to take the door, bricks, baffles etc all out to lighten it up as much as possible. Does this sound feasible? Am I going to hamper installation in any way by doing so? I am going to be basically setting it in place by myself, and my back is pretty crappy, but I have no choice. I will use the dolly and ehrn I get it to hearth which is raised about oh 5 inches, ill used some pt boards as a ramp to slide her up and in. I think this will work. I was able to lift my old GTO engine block up into my pickup truck the same way last summer when I moved. So this cant be much heavier than that block was. Winter is coming and I got to get it together LOL.

Hogwildz said:
Willhound said:

How right you are!!!! I took some shots of the existing with the ugly painted blue brick wall, I am going to photoshop it with the cultured stone I want to do, just to get an idea. I'll share that, whenever I get the time to do it. That will take some time. I am extremely nervous/excited at the same time. This is my cherry popping installation LOL. I am still a virgin at something it seems LOL. Not for long though. I will have to rely on me and the ol lady to get it in the house. I have a furniture moving dolly I am going to try and utilize. I want to take the door, bricks, baffles etc all out to lighten it up as much as possible. Does this sound feasible? Am I going to hamper installation in any way by doing so? I am going to be basically setting it in place by myself, and my back is pretty crappy, but I have no choice. I will use the dolly and ehrn I get it to hearth which is raised about oh 5 inches, ill used some pt boards as a ramp to slide her up and in. I think this will work. I was able to lift my old GTO engine block up into my pickup truck the same way last summer when I moved. So this cant be much heavier than that block was. Winter is coming and I got to get it together LOL.

If there is anybody around that will loan you a pallet jack it really is better. Then you can haul it through the house to the hearth, jack it up (most pallet jacks have eight inch lift, and then slide it onto the hearth. Be sure any leveling bolts are screwed all the way up first. Comes in handy for removing the old insert too.

Happiness was already owning a pallet jack.

Roospike said:
Pictures ! Keep us posted . Ya better getz on that liner brotherman .......The logs are-a-waiting.

I know I know! I have to order another two dump trucks full. and splitem no less. Time is a rarety here. Between making this big breezeway living space, taking over family business, the insert, and all the other things on the list. I am going nuts.

BrotherBart said:
Hogwildz said:
Willhound said:

If there is anybody around that will loan you a pallet jack it really is better. Then you can haul it through the house to the hearth, jack it up (most pallet jacks have eight inch lift, and then slide it onto the hearth. Be sure any leveling bolts are screwed all the way up first. Comes in handy for removing the old insert too.

I just moved here in August, don't know anybody but family. My father is not in shape to help. I may be able to get a couple cousins involved. Not sure I want them knowing where I live though, LOL If ya know what I mean. Luckily, I can drive my truck arounf back to the porch, get her on the dolly, roll to the living room door, down 2 steps(sunken living room), wheel it over to hearth, and side her up in place. If i could move that engine block, I should be able to handle this beast. Just take a percocet and a few advils afterwards ;)

Go ahead and strip it down. I did that with the insert I just put in. I removed the blower, door, fire brick and top heat shield. The only things I left in were the burn tubes and baffle. With all that off, my brother in law and I were able to carry it in ourselves.

do you have a roll away car jack? What bb suggest is the easiest way usinga pallett jack. since you have a piano dolly do you nave a decent hand truck
my hand truck will take 600 lbs with rope you may be able to move it witha hand truck r roll it in and place it on your raised hearth with ramps If using a piano dolly then space it high enough to be above the hearth Once in front of the hearth place some sheet metal strips down to help silding it over the hearth bricks. Then there is a way you could use pipes or dowells to roll it in and out to line up connections. If you lived closer I would help you. I would bring lots of planks and spacer blocking strong ropes

check out this thread

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/4738/

Hogwildz
Strip as much as you can. I had a professional installer do mine, but the deal was that I was the helper. This got me the certification I needed on the installation for my insurance company and also kept the price down. We removed the door, firebrick (both came in seperate boxes anway) the ash shelf and the fan shrouds to get the weight as low as possible. We cut the factory pallet down a bit to fit through my 34" door, and then with two of us putting our backs into it, and using two 8 foot oak planks and some moving blankets, we wrestled it off the truck, in the door, down a flight of 7 stairs and across the floor to the masonry fireplace. Got everything including the liner ready and then lifted it up onto the hearth (about a 12" lift) Then after the liner was connected, all the various shrouds etc. got bolted/screwed back on, unit slid back into place, surround installed, door on and firebrick in. Start to finish was about 5 hours including time to cut out the old damper plate with a grinder and a few minor adjustments to some masonry that was sticking out a little far on one side.

Hogwildz said:
BrotherBart said:
Hogwildz said:
Willhound said:

I just moved here in August, don't know anybody but family. My father is not in shape to help. I may be able to get a couple cousins involved. Not sure I want them knowing where I live though, LOL If ya know what I mean. Luckily, I can drive my truck arounf back to the porch, get her on the dolly, roll to the living room door, down 2 steps(sunken living room), wheel it over to hearth, and side her up in place. If i could move that engine block, I should be able to handle this beast. Just take a percocet and a few advils afterwards ;)

I had a buddy of mine of mine help carry it in. Its heavy.. REAL heavy. The PE Summit was still on the pallet after just taking the door off. We carried it pallet and all right infront of the hearth...

All great ideas & advice gentlemen, I have no fear of getting it in. Will try and make manuverablility a priority so that connecting to liner is as painless as possible. I will only have about 3" from insert to top of fireplace opening. I can get my hand and lower forearm in there, with some scrapping going on LOL. I am also considering using the existing block off plate, as it is in place and I would only need to cut hole for new liner and fill in over the old hole as needed with some plating & sealant. The old insert is rectagular with block off plate surrounding. New liner will be round with block off plate surrounding. I will add new creamic fiber blanket on top of block off plate, get new liner through, then patch in what is needed to make exisitng blocking plate tight around new liner. Then some stove cement and wallah. Sounds easy, I know it won't be. I am prepared for the worst, that way if it happnes to not be as bad as anticipated, its all a bonus. I have visions of enjoying a few ice cold brews around my new warm toasty fire in the future. ;) I am picking up the insert Saturday, and also ordering the liner at that time. I measured today, nice clean straight shot down, I even heard the tape measure hitting the block off plate. It might not be as bad as I am thinking as far as clearances and getting liner to insert. I have 23' to blocking plate, straight run, they may have chipped away the overhang prior to installing existing insert. I will know better when I remove the old insert. I gues the beauty of an exisiting insert may be alot of work for clearance may have already been done. So.... 23' rigid straight down, then might get away with a 3' flex from insert to rigid. Think I am going to go with a 30 degree adapter to make it that much easier. Unless for some reason I can go fairly striaght onto insert. I will keep you all posted. Thanks guys, I appreaciate being part of this group.

It sounds like you're ready for anything that bad boy can throw at you! Don't forget to take plenty of pic's and post.

Status
Not open for further replies.