My tip for the day.. removing hard carbon from a burnpot....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SidecarFlip

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 7, 2010
S.E. Michigan
Because I'm in a helpful mood I guess...

If you burnpot is easily removable, when you clean your unit, remove the burnpot and put it in a container of warm water (covering it completely) and let it soak while you clean your stove and when you are finished cleaning, remove the burnpot from the warm water. Any hard carbon will flake right off. Follow up with a piece of coarse Scotchbtite and scrub the inside of the pot to remove ALL the leftover carbon, dry it and reinstall a nice clean no carboned up pot. Been doing that for years. It works very well and no tedious scraping or chiseling off the carbon.

Your stove will appreciate a clean burnpot and it will heat much better too.

I actually have 2 burnpots. One is in a small bucket of water while the other is in the stove and I change them out when I clean the firebox. No hard carbon survives in them.