1. briansol

briansol
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 18, 2009
    Loc:
    central ct
    Serious question:

Do you think your lower pellet consumption is due to daily clean out tasks and having to fiddle with it to get it burning again?

Have you marked oil consumption to match while you are in down time mode?

2. Woodsmythe

Woodsmythe
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2014
    Loc:
    Vermont,USA
    It seems the stove gives off more heat per unit of pellets but, due to the nature of the draft, as it loads up with ash it restricts the exhaust draft as well as the input draft thereby, reducing the intensity of the burn and the heat given off. The cleaning is simple, taking only 10 or 15 minutes, including relighting. One drawback is the lag time from shutting off the pellet supply, to the stove being out, is around an hour. Most days the oil will only run to do our hot water a little more than that on a day like today at 10 below and windy.

tug686spd likes this.
  3. pellet powered

pellet powered
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 9, 2013
    Loc:
    Rutland, Vermont
    I was glad to read that last sentence as I have some: Have you tried to open up the basket in the primary burn chamber? Alot of the trouble it sounds like you're having sounds like the trouble I had when I first purchased my WiseWay. I stretched the basket out EVENLY so it just barely fits back in the primary and now I have no draft issues. That's all the "dialing in" I had to do. Otherwise, I empty it once a day and run it hot twice a day- just like you would with any woodstove. The Wiseway is just like a woodstove with way less hassle and mess! Also, the ash build up is likely a pellet issue. What brand are you burning? BTW- I agree that the WiseWay uses less pellets. I was burning a solid bag and a half last year with a conventional pellet stove. I'm down to just a hair over a bag a day now.

4. kenstogie

kenstogie
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Oct 2, 2012
    Loc:
    Albany (ish)
    I recently purchased a Pellet stove and at the time considered getting the Wiseway but didn't want to be the person figuring out how it worked... especially with fire involved. Needless to say I am glad to see others have bought them, LOVE the idea of a unit that "runs by itself" and may very well get one some day. I am watching threads like these carefully.

Harmanizer likes this.
  5. Wiseway pellet stoves

Wiseway pellet stoves
    Member 2.
    NULL

Aug 19, 2012
    Yes we had a issue with the first stoves going to the east coast. We had been selling out here on the west coast for a year and a half with no problems at all. All our pellets out here were Douglas fir. the ash is much lighter and fed from the secondary burn chamber to the ash tray with no problems. some of the hardwood pellets ash was more solid and would over time build up in the secondary burn chamber choking off the air supply and keep the pellets from feeding into the secondary burn chamber causing smoldering up the feed tube. When we heard of this we spent all our time trying to find a cure for this. first we directed our distributors to contact our dealers and have them contact us so we could send out seal kits free of charge and asked them to seal all the stoves they had sold and we would pay them for there time. If there was no oxygen there could not be any smoldering. Then we did many hours of testing with hardwood pellets some of our dealers sent from the east coast. Over a three week period we made several modifications to the stove. a different secondary burn plate with slots in it instead of holes and changed the angle of the secondary burn chamber from 45 degrees to 20 degrees so all the pellets from the primary burn chamber would fall all the way to the secondary burn plate. I don't know if this dealer was contacted by the distributor or not but again there can't be any smoldering up the feed tube if there is no oxygen he obviously did't seal the stoves or not properly if he did. If there is anyone with a Wiseway that is not sealed contact Matt@wisewaypelletstoves.com and he will send you a seal kit free of charge along with instructions . the customers that have sealed there stoves are doing fine . I am very sorry for the troubles some of our cutomers on the east coast were having with the wiseway stove(out of the 300+ stoves we sold on the east coast only about 20 had problems) I'm not taking those 20 lightly just putting things in prospective The 20 stoves were either fixed or they had there money returned to them. Wiseway has a 5 year guarantee more than any other pellet stove on the market but in bad we find good and we now have a stove that burns hard and soft wood pellets very well and will be testing with Omni in the next 2 weeks.( when we change a stove it has to be retested before we can sell it) you will find that all pellet stoves have a problem with ash build up with some hardwood pellets. Sorry for such a long post but wanted people to here from us directly
    Thanks
    Gary
    Inventor of the Wiseway pellet stove

mustangwagz and Owen1508 like this.
  6. mikelcan

mikelcan
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 1, 2013
    Loc:
    Oly Pen, Wa
    OP here. I was asked about an update and if I were planning on using the stove this year in a PM. I responded to that but will also post it here.

I am still planning on using the wiseway this year. As for as a review. I burned 2 1/2 tons of pellets last year. I found that I got about 20 - 22 hours out of a bag when I burnt on low after the startup. I always let it get to about 600 before I would open the air control. I found that if I opened it around 350 or 400 it would cool off and settle around 250. If I waited it would settle around 350 - 400 which is where I wanted it. I work from home and fell into a routine where I would start the stove after lunch and let it run until it was out. I would then clean the ash tray and secondary burn plate and restart the stove. Weekly I would scrape out the burn tube as far as I could reach (to the first turn) using a spatula. I could see "fly ash" through the air control holes. All in all it heated fine for me and I had no real issues. I wish I would have waited to buy until this year and I would have bought one with the window. One of my wife's complaints is that you can not see the fire.

I however did not save as much money as I had hoped - only a couple hundred dollars which makes the pay back several years. But that has as much to do with my cheap electric rates and the fact that the previous winter we only turned on the baseboard heaters in rooms as we used them with a min temp of 50 to keep rooms at least bearable. By my figures year over year minus the cost of pellets I saved $219.

Mike

7. velvetfoot

velvetfoot
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 5, 2005
    Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    But you're looking good if there's a power outage, right?

8. UNhappyMagnumOwner

UNhappyMagnumOwner
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 14, 2017
    Loc:
    Cocagne, NB Canada

9. UNhappyMagnumOwner

UNhappyMagnumOwner
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 14, 2017
    Loc:
    Cocagne, NB Canada
    I was just wondering if this stove has gotten any better our local store has picked up the line and we were wondering if it is better than our Baby Magnum Country side. The Baby needs about $2000 to run solar in these parts

10. Tails1

Tails1
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 19, 2016
    Loc:
    Ajax, Ontario Canada
    I personally wouldn't buy one as I think they are over priced but that's me. I see your in Canada and you have a dealer selling them up here now? How much in Canadian money are they?

11. UNhappyMagnumOwner

UNhappyMagnumOwner
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 14, 2017
    Loc:
    Cocagne, NB Canada
    About the same price as the Baby but if it run's quiet and without electric. I could sleep through the house burning down! much better
    _g

12. Tails1

Tails1
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 19, 2016
    Loc:
    Ajax, Ontario Canada
    A quick search shows Home Hardware selling them now at 2599.00 Canadian. Must be ordered online. For that kind of money one can consider a Harman which is the top of the line. I wish they would start carrying Serenitys as I would buy one of those over one of these.

13. UNhappyMagnumOwner

UNhappyMagnumOwner
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 14, 2017
    Loc:
    Cocagne, NB Canada
    The local Kent store has them for $1900. Canadian do help solve problems and back what they sell

14. cogger

cogger
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 10, 2006
    $1,500 Tractor Supply. The inventor seems to have sold out to USSC, which list on their website out of stock. After researching 6 hours today I have decided to buy an try. My old NEw englander pellet stove has seen it days and needs a overhaul, Both blowers are shot.

15. MacSierra

MacSierra
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 30, 2011
    Loc:
    Northern Nevada
    Tractor Supply here in Minden Nevada is 1,605 + freight and tax which puts it over 1800.00. The Wiseway is manufactured in china now and that brought the price down a bit.. Don't know if that's good or bad...

I have two 10 year old Breckwell's and just today had to cannibalize the old one to keep the newer one going.. LOL.. The new stoves in the Breckwell price range are identical to the Breckwell's I have now so it's easier to buy parts and keep at least one going. Better blower motors, augers and boards are available as replacements now as well..

I'm looking for another stove to replace the one I pulled out of service last winter and maybe the Wiseway would work as I have a vertical 4" pellet flue already in place in a large room with plenty of air available. Without forced induction clean hot burning pellets are a must from what I have been reading in the Wiseway's. A basic understanding of combustion physics is also helpful using them... Also, US Stove has said they made some improvement tweaks to the #1949 unit.. Home Depot here has Wiseway's for 1605.00 and free freight + tax..

16. Deezl Smoke

Deezl Smoke
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 28, 2015
    Loc:
    Oregon
    In my personal experience, it is not the fact that is made in China that matters. It is how the factories in China are ordered to make them by the American and European companies that matters. China can make some fine products when and if they are ordered to. Perhaps, similar to the Castle brand, the Wiseway is ordered to meet realistic quality? Time and forum discussion will tell.

FirepotPete likes this.
  17. JRemington

JRemington
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 4, 2017
    Loc:
    Belleville New York
    I had a customer come in the store yesterday who had bought one at Tractor Supply and couldn't get it to work. His chimney he installed went up three feet and 90d out the wall and then a 90 up one foot. He has cathedral ceilings so based on common sense I told him to go straight up 10 feet inside and then just one 90 and go out one foot and cap it. Should that chimney work for him? It appears there is no customer service with these stoves.

18. bob bare

bob bare
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 31, 2013
    Loc:
    park county montana
    It might burn ok,but IMHO should be installed same as a wood stove,flue above roof line,as it is a natural draft stove.I think of them as wood stoves you cannot put wood in.:)