My Wiseway non electric stove experience

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
How could it be UL approved.. no electricity.
According to the PR I read, the only "UL Listed non-electric pellet stove on the market today"

I saw a picture of one... really strange, then saw this article. But the "back burn" seem serious.
Ace Hardware is selling them !

Last edited:
How could it be UL approved.. no electricity.
According to the PR I read, the only "UL Listed non-electric pellet stove on the market today"

I saw a picture of one... really strange, then saw this article. But the "back burn" seem serious.
Ace Hardware is selling them !
UL does lots of things that are not electricity related.

Hey there, so I'm not really sure what it would do with 6in pipe. I know if you go to US Stove Company's website, you can go to the stove and download the manual which gives you install instructions and tips for 3", 4", and 6" pipe.

Also, I think I would keep it just the way it is. The only issue I'm really starting to face is parts durability. The main burn chamber and basket on my stove are shot. Probably didn't help that I had a few over-burns but i am going to need all new replacement parts after 2 years. Other then this set back the stove runs fantastic for me

Hows it going, new here, recently purchased a house in NH with 2 pellet stoves, 1 of which being a Wiseway, knew nothing about it until this year we actually started using both. Its an older model as it doesnt have the fire window above the slide. I have a hard time keeping it running at a consistent temp. Some problems i see right of the bat is the pipe goes 2 stories straight up, so at least 20’ which ive read is a no no, i also run it on a cheap home depot pellet(next year ill change that)and it also doesnt have a barometric damper which i will look to install aswell. the previous home owner did some “mods” to it, sealed up certain area’s with a silicone of some sort. I am having problems with the burn back, i emailed wiseway and hopefully they have an answer for me, it heats up the 1 part of my house pretty nicely so id like to use it. Any advice other then what i stated above would def be great!

The Wiseway is a poorly engineered stove.

- The pellet feed chamber is welded to the heated burn chamber. In 2 places.

-The way the pellet chamber is built, it often acts like a chimney. If the solid chamber is interrupted, it will not back burn.

-The burn chamber needs to reach higher temps in order to combust all the gasses. Otherwise, it creates dangerous amounts of creosote.

- The W shape, cools the exhaust gases so much, large amounts of creosote condense all over the outdoor pipe. I wish there was an easy fix for this stove. But to be a serious contender as a safe stove, more work is indicated. Perhaps wrapping the burn chamber with insulation might help.

The Wiseway is a poorly engineered stove.

- The pellet feed chamber is welded to the heated burn chamber. In 2 places.

-The way the pellet chamber is built, it often acts like a chimney. If the solid chamber is interrupted, it will not back burn.

-The burn chamber needs to reach higher temps in order to combust all the gasses. Otherwise, it creates dangerous amounts of creosote.

- The W shape, cools the exhaust gases so much, large amounts of creosote condense all over the outdoor pipe. I wish there was an easy fix for this stove. But to be a serious contender as a safe stove, more work is indicated. Perhaps wrapping the burn chamber with insulation might help.

So are you saying this from experience, or from some other source? Cause I personally have one, have shown my set up, and its keeping my house at an average 65-68 degrees with outside temps here in NY at 14 degrees.

Also as for the creosote...I personally have not had any build up. This stove runs hot already.

I think the biggest issue anyone will have that owns this stove is parts durability. I went right through it and put heavier larger gaskets and higher temp sealant throughout the hole stove and it burns great. But if you are having that much issue with your stove if get your manual out and make sure your to spec.

Reactions: Deezl Smoke
Somehow today i found myself looking at Wiseway reviews and thought i would share my experiences with mine, First mine is maybe 7 years old now i have the biggest one they made and i had the same problems i've read here and thought that i had made a grave mistake so much so i called the original inventor and told him i was unhappy, the thing would run just terribly, run hot then cool down, up and down it once burned up into the pellet bin part way . I was so frustrated, when we talked he asked me where i live and what kind of pellets i was using ( soft or hard ) hard i told him, he then instructed me to pull the basket and open the distance between the bars to the point its hard to remove basket from the burn chamber and its run like a clock ever since. I live in a 2 story Farmhouse and we spent time to run a 4" chimney through the wall using the old house chimney, using 2 x45's no 90's .
It will run for 8 to 9 hours using Somerset Hardwood pellets and responds to both dampening controls but i usually just let it run hot, I do give it a quick cleaning every bag, i found it's just easier that way.
I've figured out a way to clean it during season with a shop vac but i takes some welding and lathe work with minimum expense so i brush the entire length of the chimney at the beginning of season and maybe 3 times cleaning the runs, Next i'm going to enlarge the bin so i can get at least 12 to 16 hours out of it.
So if your having burn issues try opening the basket bars just a bit, and quality pellets is a must, so that's my experience with my wiseway.