My wood pile (the wood borg?)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow1

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2008
Eastern MA
First pic is from May 2nd, second is from today - so just over 3 weeks of growth here. This is my "ready to burn" pile - i.e. my 09/10 supply. Everything stacked in there is at least 2 years old and should be good to burn today - certainly by fall even with the less than ideal drying opportunities being in the middle of this stack.

It is not a perfect cube - it will never be I'm afraid. I didn't do a good job of keeping the corners in the right place as it basically just well, kept growing as I found things to stack on. there are pallets to start, then some old PT pieces of wood, then some old painted shelf uprights that I had stored in the garage, then some more pallets - basically anything that I could find to pick up the wood from the ground and keep an airspace there.

So, figuring out how much is in there is not simple. Making it more difficult is the fact that the ground is sloped but the top of the pile is close to level. Thus if you look at the current picture, the corner on the bottom left (away from driveway on the left) the pile is just over 6' tall there, but the other extreme (opposite corner - close to driveway on right) the pile is only about 4.5' high. The sides measure about as follows: Along driveway 9.25', opposite side from driveway 11.75', other two sides (depth) are about 9.25'

I figure I have at least 3 cords in there, but less than 4. I keep adding to it as I find more wood on CL - I added about 1/4 cord yesterday that was 3 year old hardwood (woman was moving and new owners of house wanted wood removed before closing - I was happy to help out). Funny how you can add that much wood to a pile and not even notice the difference looking at it afterwards... resistance is futile! you will be assimilated... :)

Attachments

• CIMG1765.JPG
    CIMG1765.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 601
  • CIMG1920.JPG
    CIMG1920.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 614
Not bad at all! How's the van do towing wood? I've debated using my 4x8 to haul stuff...but it has wood side rails.

The pictured van with trailer is actually a friends. It is a honda and does a good enough job although with a full load I can really feel it back there so I have taken to not really loading it up to the top despite his insistence that it is ok... I'm not going to be the one to break something you know?

The good news is that once I get the F150 that I have a line on (if?) it has a receiver etc so since I can still borrow the trailer I will be pretty well set for hauling at that point. IN any case - borrowing this setup beats carrying the wood inside my van any day! Much easier to load/unload and cleaner to boot.

I hear ya on being cautious if it's borrowed. Better safe than sorry. It's easier to make an extra trip instead of buying a new transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.