My wood supplier strikes again - wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see any medullary rays in the photos; I still think Honey Locust.

Todd said:
I say it's Honey Locust, Silver Maple doesn't have that white outer ring where Locust does and bark can look similar. I think you got you a great score.

I don't know honey locust, but I do agree with Todd about the narrow band of sapwood excluding it from being a maple.

Todd said:
I say it's Honey Locust, Silver Maple doesn't have that white outer ring where Locust does and bark can look similar. I think you got you a great score.

+1 would love to get more of that, easy splitting, fast drying, hot burning, great stuff.

Woody Stover said:
The best White Oak I've smelled was when I split some stuff that sat around in a pile of rounds for a couple of years. It took forever to split that stuff because I stopped to smell dang near every piece. :lol:

I was splitting white oak a few weeks ago, and had a bunch of freshly split cherry in my stacks. There was a light drizzle off and on, and my kids came out to see why I was working in the rain. I said 'Smell that?' and they wanted to know what I was eating, they wanted some, too :lol:

Wood Duck said:
I don't see any medullary rays in the photos; I still think Honey Locust.
I'm not sure we'd be able to see the rays unless he had a good closeup pic. At any rate, I'm now wondering about that rotted spot in the middle of the bigger rounds...don't think I've ever seen that on a White Oak. It's been a while since I've cut any, but it also seems that the sapwood is a little too white. Glad no one took me up on that bet. :lol: We've got Black Locust here, but I haven't see any Honeylocust yet, or cut any, so don't know how it smells.

Gentleman 100% Honey Locust! No if's ,and's or but's PERIOD.

Status
Not open for further replies.