My Woodstove...Not a Russo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Verynycegirl

Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts
Hello,

Okay, we thought my woodstove was a Russo, but with the advice of elkimmeg I was able to find the manufactures plate. This is the info from the plate. SEARS ROEBUCK AND CO Model # 587841420 Date Tested 06/18/80 Fuel Approved Wood & Coal
LABEL SER. NO. 175

So it looks like my stove is a little older then we thought! How do I find out if my woodstove is EPA approved? Elkimmeg suggested I post here the info I could find, so you all could give me advice. He also said to explain how my stove is set up and vented but I'm not sure just how it is vented but I took a picture. Hopefully that will make it easier. This will be my 2nd winter using the stove. Last year I used it more for pleasure, this year I will need it to be my primary source of heat. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!

Tracy

Attachments

• woodstove.JPG
    woodstove.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 757
Verynycegirl said:
Hello,

Okay, we thought my woodstove was a Russo, but with the advice of elkimmeg I was able to find the manufactures plate. This is the info from the plate. SEARS ROEBUCK AND CO Model # 587841420 Date Tested 06/18/80 Fuel Approved Wood & Coal
LABEL SER. NO. 175

So it looks like my stove is a little older then we thought! How do I find out if my woodstove is EPA approved? Elkimmeg suggested I post here the info I could find, so you all could give me advice. He also said to explain how my stove is set up and vented but I'm not sure just how it is vented but I took a picture. Hopefully that will make it easier. This will be my 2nd winter using the stove. Last year I used it more for pleasure, this year I will need it to be my primary source of heat. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!

Tracy

Looks like it was some kind of "private label" that Sears had made for them.....heck, it's tested at least!

The style looks more like a coal unit, which can also burn wood. All the normal stuff applies here, like you would be much happier burning wood in a nice new unit with clean glass, etc.

One piece of good news is that coal stoves are also in short supply...maybe you can get a good buck for this out of some gent that wants to use hard coal.

Please explain the room size the stove is in and does it open up to adjacent rooms. Wondering how well the stove will heat your home? please explain your floor plan layout? From the picture, I noticed a black spot above the loading door. Is the door gasketed?

Epa approval, which your stove is not, is a set of guidelines the EPA clean air acts adopted in 1990 All stoves manufactured after 1990 had to meet 63% effeciency and had a maxium grams of polutants emitted. They burn cleaner, more effecient, using less wood, delivering more heat to the living space.

Verynycegirl said:
Hello,

LABEL SER. NO. 175

Tracy

For a primary heating appliance I would ask Santa to do you a very nice favor and get a new stove. I suspect it will pay itself off quickly in providing you with more warmth, safety, lower wood consumption and better looks.

It's in my livingroom. My livingroom and dining room are actually one big open room. I'm REALLY bad with size. My house is a very open type floorplan. The livingroom & diningroom are one room which opens to the kitchen, there are no walls between them. There is a sunroom off my diningroom which I have a hardtime getting very warm so we just keep the doors closed during the winter for the most part. My bedroom & bathroom is off the livingroom and is the only room that tends to be cool downstairs. Upstairs there are two bedrooms, a landing area that my kids use for a TV area and a bathroom.There is an opening in my livingroom that helps the heat to get upstairs. I'll take a picture to make it easier for you to understand what I mean. If I recall correctly, I think the house is 1800 sq ft. Also I have cathedral type celings in my livingroom.

I'm not sure about the door gasket?? How can I tell if it is??

Thanks,
Tracy

Attachments

• house.JPG
    house.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 626
elkimmeg said:
Please explain the room size the stove is in and does it open up to adjacent rooms. Wondering how well the stove will heat your home? please explain your floor plan layout? From the picture, I noticed a black spot above the loading door. Is the door gasketed?

Epa approval, which your stove is not, is a set of guidelines the EPA clean air acts adopted in 1990 All stoves manufactured after 1990 had to meet 63% effeciency and had a maxium grams of polutants emitted. They burn cleaner, more effecient, using less wood, delivering more heat to the living space.

Elkimmeg,

I found a picture of my floorpan. I personally am not sure how to read it but maybe you know how....

Tracy

Attachments

• myhouse.jpg
    myhouse.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 600
Status
Not open for further replies.