Mystery mesh.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GMadd

Oct 15, 2014
Highland, NY
So the guy I bought the stove from had a bad auger bearing for years. He thought dust flying was just an annoying reality of pellet stoves. On advice from here I changed the bearing. When there was no more dust I had to remove this wire mesh he added everywhere on exhausts and intakes to keep it out if the room. The mesh actually made the whole thing more dangerous cause it held the dust over the fire box which would occasionally combust into the room. There is one last piece of mesh I can see on the room blower intake. I attached a picture. Is that supposed to be there or should I remove it? Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 289
We sold Magnum stoves for years and some had screens over the blowers which were effective for pet hair/dust bunnies more than fine ash or sawdust. The picture looks like definite after market, but is not a bad idea in my opinion.

Reactions: GMadd
Seems like it would keep the fan cleaner, just remember to clean the screen off occasionally. I would keep it

The mesh I found on Magnum stoves was about 1/4 inch mesh

I'm no expert, so take this for what it's worth. Look like someone cut some window screeening to size and mounted it over the blower. If that was OEM, it would have a much cleaner and finished edge on it.

I suspect that it restricts the flow of air quite a bit. Why not try it with it in place and without it just to see.

I suspect that it restricts the flow of air quite a bit. Why not try it with it in place and without it just to see.
I like this idea. He had the same mesh over the exhaust and it was making a whine. Took it off and it went away. I think it does restrict flow a bit. I'll try both ways. Thanks guys!

I can't believe he put mesh over the squirrel cage of the blower!!! That would restrict the heck out of the airflow and the cooling of the heat exchanger! Lucky nothing is warped or cracked!

As a contractor I have seen some 'amazing engineering' over the years regarding hacked out structural members, wiring, and plumbing along with many other "fixes." Never ceases to amaze me........ I would find out what it should be and go that route. Keep it stock. The screen will restrict it. Especially when it collects the lint, hair, and other misc. fibers. Many of these blower motors are not chump change either.

So does the Baby come new with something there or is the cage just open?

Probably was whatever fan manufacture they got from.

So does the Baby come new with something there or is the cage just open?

I haven't a clue.... Wish I could help more but out of my league. Most blowers ("squirrel cages") and such do not. At least the ones I've seen in HVAC systems and stoves and the like. Can you find any manuals or anything?

Cool looking stove BTW. I like it! Member lowcostheat might be your best info as he is familiar with at least the brand. Try to Google and research also.

Status
Not open for further replies.