Nailer's M55C FS Install almost complete

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jay,

Thanks for the offer but I am a tool junky.
This gives me an excuse to to buy a new one. :)
Probably buy more than just that while I'm shopping.

kykel
Mine is the same. The rear hopper door seats flat and firm against the gasket.
I've been running it just closed not latched. Seems to be running fine.

Cleaning update.
I had it shutdown yesterday because it was warm and I was finishing the roof side of the vent install.
I grabbed my vac, scraper, and some damp paper towels.
Opened it up and looked in to a fairly clean firebox/burn pot.
Ended up just waving vac around to get some fly ash and cleaning the glass.
Found a new quirk with this stove. The glass door is flat on the inside. No inner lip as on my EF-2.
When I wiped the glass the soot dust fell to the floor. Actually the carpet. Soot loves carpet!
Have to get some carpet cleaner now. Lesson learned. put down a towel before wiping the glass.

I have burned about 4 bags of mixed Okies/Maine's choice so far.
The glass was light brown graduating to black on the upper right 1/4.
I have been mostly burning on #2 except the bake off.
All trim adjustments are at factory settings.
Flame looks like it is just a bit cool/dark edges.
Based on the glass color I think I need to increase my combustion air a bit. Or adjust my damper.
I don't have a mag gauge (yet) so for now gonna be trial and error.
Plus it's hard to see how it burns on the low settings. Gonna wait until the weather turns a bit cooler.

Love having a new toy to tweak. :)

Any recs on a low priced Mag Gauge?

Thanks,
---Nailer---

nailed_nailer said:
Jay,

The glass door is flat on the inside. No inner lip as on my EF-2.
When I wiped the glass the soot dust fell to the floor. Actually the carpet. Soot loves carpet!
Have to get some carpet cleaner now. Lesson learned. put down a towel before wiping the glass.

Thanks,
---Nailer---

I would have never guessed that floor was carpet?

Nailer...you are not likely to stop the dark brown color from forming on the glass. This stove seems to be designed to operate with much less active flames than other pellet stoves blow torch style. It makes for a more enjoyable flame to watch. Mine usually starts out with a grey haze which gets darker and darker until it is a chocolate brown eventually (2-3days). It collects in a "swish" pattern in the upper right part of the door. The good thing is it stays clean in front of the burn pot, so you can always see the fire, even after a week or more. I set mine per the manual at about .15-.16 mag reading on heat level 5. Seems to be working well. I wouldn't try to adjust the damper on anything lower than heat level 3. I bought a cheapo canvas at HD and put it down each time I clean the stove. I learned the hard way like you after I spilled some ashes into my carpet.

hey there nailer.that looks awsome.i recently picked up a magna gauge on ebay($35).if you are still working practically in my backyard i would be more than happy to let you borrow it.i am home most of this week so let me know.it reads from 0-.25

Cork,

Thanks for the offer. But, I just quit working in Taunton on Tuesday last week. 13 years shot down in flames (with no BTU output)

Smokeshow, The floor itself is not carpet, it is an ugly '70's brick pattern linoleum (soon to be replaced for 15 years now)
In pics 2+4 you can just see a corner of the area rug. Sort of a cream (Golden Retriever) color.

Flying,
I thought as much. Another tool to buy :)

---Nailer---

Install and everything looks great! Glad you are enjoying your new stove. Have Fun!

flynfrfun said:
Nailer...you are not likely to stop the dark brown color from forming on the glass. This stove seems to be designed to operate with much less active flames than other pellet stoves blow torch style. It makes for a more enjoyable flame to watch. Mine usually starts out with a grey haze which gets darker and darker until it is a chocolate brown eventually (2-3days). It collects in a "swish" pattern in the upper right part of the door. The good thing is it stays clean in front of the burn pot, so you can always see the fire, even after a week or more. I set mine per the manual at about .15-.16 mag reading on heat level 5. Seems to be working well. I wouldn't try to adjust the damper on anything lower than heat level 3. I bought a cheapo canvas at HD and put it down each time I clean the stove. I learned the hard way like you after I spilled some ashes into my carpet.
Boy did I learn that lesson to about the ash on the carpet. This ash will stain the bejesus out of carpet. I lay out newspaper all over the place when I clean now.

I have tried two things that work to keep that soot from falling to the floor. First, if your glass is not hot, just put a brush on your vac, and vac the glass. No clean up. another method is to use a paint brush going over the glass and hold the vac in the other hand with the vac hose just under the paint brush. I also do this when I brush out the inside of the stove. I have some asthma and don't need to be breathing in ash. I keep the vac going the whole time I am doing any stove cleaning. I follow up cleaning the glass with a dampened paper towel. Again, the damp towel won't allow ash to be air born and it is usually all that is needed to finish cleaning up the glass. Cleaning the glass and brushing out the inside of the stove doesn't take any more than five minutes. I try to do this about every 3ed day except when burning pellets like Energex which makes a huge amounts of heavy black ash. For them, I have to open the door and scoop out the clumping ash from the burn pot or the stove won't run right.

Congratulations!

Glad to hear it is quiet!
My other friend just got his 55 insert installed- his is quiet too.
Waiting for my new motor to be installed to quell my concern with the stov, a noisy auger motor!
Otherwise we are all very happy. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.