Name this wood: Does it go in 2 year or 3 year pile?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lumbering on

Feeling the Heat
Dec 7, 2012
New York
Working hard to get three years ahead.

I have one cord of 2 year seasoned hardwood, plus ecobricks for this coming winter,

and I have 2 giant red oak trees that I bought, waiting to be split, for 3 years from now ++

BUT I don't have much for two years from now. I just scrounged a giant white pine, one car load at a time which will likely be fine for then.

And I just scrounged about a face cord of mystery hard wood. Doesn't look like the oak I've been splitting.

Some of the larger rounds I couldn't fit in the car had a blueish color in the center, if that helps. (what is that blue color anyway?)

Need to know what it is, and if I can put it in the stack for 2 years from now, or three years from now?

wood photo.JPG

Maple and good in a year or so.

Maple. Fo sho. Maybe Silver? Be ready in a year if ya split it average size. Burns good n hot but don't burn real long. Love havin it around...

That kind of looks like white oak to me.

Is the blueish more like purple? And only in a spot? like in the attached pic? I don't see it in any of your photos. Iron will do that in an oak tree, if you see a purple/violet splot in a cut round of oak you know there is a piece of iron lurking within. Photo is red oak but the blue stain is the same.

Attachments

• IMG_0823.jpg
    IMG_0823.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 125
Tough call, but it looks like white oak to me. The broken piece in the upper left sorta looks like red oak.

White Oak but a close up of an end would confirm that.

Close up of end and split a few also.

Another blueish iron stain for you. (but still red oak.). The reason for it is obvious.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 136
As soon as I saw it I thought "that looks like the White Oak that I got the last two Saturdays from a local compost site". It should have a unique aroma to it; everytime I am near it I can smell the aroma which smells sort of like vinegar and/or wine. And if you don't smell it now whack a round open and you'll smell it for sure....

White Oak...three years. You just hit the jackpot; Primo wood. :cool:

Just about anything but Oak that you can stack now will be excellent in two years.

White oak. I would put it in the three year pile unless you need it faster in which case I would stack it single row in a nice sunny spot where it will catch a lot of wind.

White oak. On the white pine, that should be burnable next winter.

White oak put back 3-4 years after spliting.

The bark is the clincher for me. White oak. 3 years. Split it.. Hurry up!:)

+1 on white oak
just cut some up looks just like that - bark flakes off and is brownish underneath when you roll/toss them around.

Status
Not open for further replies.