Napoleon 1100C door problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bbross

Nov 1, 2009
SW Ohio
I purchased an 1100C and noticed a horrible door seal along the bottom. The problem is there is no adjustment for the bottom of the cast iron door. It pivots on a pin that is pressed into the ash lip. The top has an adjustable hinge but it has no effect on the bottom door seal. After numerous attempts I got through to tech support at Napoleon and was told what I already know...there is no adjustment for the bottom of the door and I'd have to get the issue resolved by my dealer. Now for the real problem, I cannot get a response back from the dealer. I'm ready to chuck the thing and replace it with a Pacific Energy bought from a reputable dealer. Can anyone offer advise on where the problem lies...etc...bad door casting, ash lip?

Thanks!

I have the same stove with a similar problem. I did manage to loosen the 2 bolts on the ash lip and tighten it a little but it will only move so far until it hits the steel body of the stove. I contacted my dealer last week and they are looking into it. They did mention I may be able to try a thicker gasket but wanted to check into it first. I plan to give them a call this week to check on the progress. When I was in their shop I noticed the newer models have changed a little and I wonder if it addresses this problem.

I first started looking into this because I was getting uncontrollable burns. When the secondaries kicked there was no stopping or slowing it down and my flue temps would get to 800 and above. After I fiddling with it I get a seal that gives some resistance to the dollar bill test but I feel it could be tighter. And what happens when the gasket starts to wear and I have minimum contact now? Anyway so far I feel I can control the burn better then last year and keep the flue closer to the recommend 450 degrees. I was close to 600 a couple of times but when I close the damper it seems to settle down now. I am also considering taking a little off the back of the ash lip to give me a little more play. I'll keep you posted if I find anything new.

I think you are having a problem of the castings not matching up too the steel firebox. This is a dealer problem because the castings need to be unbolted and trued up to the steel box. This is not a DIY project. It would probaly void the warranty if you did this yourself. Get on your dealer about this issue if they do not respound find out who is the local distributer rep is for your area and contact them. Best of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.