New Door Gasket- Fails Dollar Bill Test

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I wonder if the three 'burn' areas (2 center; 1 to the right) are from coals falling on gasket. Not sure about the stains.
You mentioned that it does not compress very much and that is about 1/8" thick. I see the 'ledge' on the left side where the stove gasket runs vertical. I wonder if air passes thru there.
I have some stuff similar to what EbS-P mentioned in post #11 above. It is a woven fabric that will mold better to the door gasket. I had used it for a window seal. It has adhesive on the back. I may run a strip of it across the bottom as you did. But that is dependent on what I hear back from SBI and there quality group. No word yet.
That thick gasket you installed should absorb a quarter inch surface difference . You got some serious warpage somewhere.
Do you know how to site one surface edge on a door to the opposite edge?....if not get a carpenter buddy to look at that door and site across from one edge to the other. A good carpenter can see a 1/32" warp in anything if it exists just by looking at it....A machinist as well..

Last edited:
The material made a big difference. Got it back to where it was when I first tried it. I don't see any flames emanating from the door, like I did before I re-did it. As I said, passes dollar bill test, in that area as well.

UPDATE:

SBI decided to warranty this stove. A replacement arrived last week.
When I last posted, SBI had sent the issues with this stove to their Quality department. It took weeks to get any more information from them. I would send a nice email every week asking for a status. I usually included a photo or video (like below). They went unanswered.
Eventually they suggested that I try a 3/4" gasket (vs 5/8") that they were sending me. But it did not get sent until I asked about it a week later. The 3/4" gasket turned out to be way too big. They also asked if the lower section appeared to have been welding this way or did it appear to have changed over time. I dug into the stove and provided a full explanation about how I felt the front of the stove was manufactured in such a manner that the lower front was pulled back inward during the welding process. Two weeks later they asked the same question.
Then the issue got sent to the service department. When asked what they do, I was told that the service department does warranty replacements. Various department heads have to sign off on replacements. I had never requested a warranty replacement stove. After inquiring about the status I was told three weeks later that a replacement stove would be sent. It took another month for the stove to actually arrive.
When the stove arrived, I checked the area below the door opening. It also angles inward similar to my original stove. It may not be quite a much. The door does seal completely around; top; sides; and bottom. I did notice that the OEM door gasket is a different material and weave than the the replacement door gasket kit SBI sells. (AC06500). I took the door from my replacement unit and put it on my original unit. The door did not seal at the bottom.
Therefore, I have a replacement unit which does seal completely. SBI did not want the original stove returned. I will use it for spare parts; baffle, bricks and burn tubes. While I appreciate that SBI stood behind their product, it was frustrating that the communication was so sparse.
I now hope that this winter I can spend less time fidgeting with the stove. I want to be able to get the heat from the stove and not have it go up the flue. I want the secondary flames to burn via the burn tubes and not at the front of the stove. Time will tell. OEM Gasket vs. AC06500.jpg

Attachments

• Flames at door bottom L 5 sec.mp4
    13.4 MB
Glad you stuck with it and SBI stood behind it. What stove was it again and when was it purchased? Asking because they recently made several of their stoves tax credit eligible? I will filing an amended return to get my 26% back.

Glad you stuck with it and SBI stood behind it. What stove was it again and when was it purchased? Asking because they recently made several of their stoves tax credit eligible? I will filing an amended return to get my 26% back.
Escape 1500 purchased Nov. 2020.