Napoleon 1101

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dafattkidd

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 11, 2007
Long Island
Hey guys,

I've been very interested in buying a wood burning insert for a couple of years now. I am getting one this week. I already paid the guy $1,000. He seems like a good guy. I was hoping to get a Napoleon 1402, but I just found out he got me an 1101. I'm trying to heat about 1500 square feet. My house is a one level ranch. I'm concerned the 1101 is going to be insufficient. Does anyone have any experience with this specific insert? Any words of advice? Thanks so much.

The 1101 is the same stove as the 1401, but the firebox isn't quite as deep. The 1402 is 18" deep while the 1101 is only 13 1/2" deep. This stove operates the best with the wood loaded front to back, so with the 1101 you would be limited to firewood that's about 12" in length. Firewood is most commonly cut to 16" lengths if you buy cut/split/delivered, unless you have somebody who cuts it to your length. A lot of firewood guys will cut to your length.

With the 1101, you'll have difficulty getting a full night burn because of the smaller firebox volume. I have the 1401, the older brother of the 1402 with different fans. I always have enough coals to reload without kindling after 8-10 hours. The 1101 would probably go 6-8 hours.

For your 1500 sq ft ranch, either stove will provide enough heat for you, but I'd go with the 1402 for the longer burn time. You can always put less wood in the 1402 and get the same performance as the 1101, but you'll never fit more wood in the 1101. Let the dealer eat his mistake.

I heat about 1000 sqft, I burn mostly kiln dried hardwood (oak, walnut , hickory, some exotics)

I can get an overnight burn (enough coals to light off in the morning) with out a problem. On cold days (around 0f, I wish it put out more heat, but other than that, I like it a lot)

Thanks so much guys. I'm going to go with the 1101. I think it should do the trick. I really appreciate your input. Hopefully I do well with it.

Jake where do you get kiln dried woods?

Status
Not open for further replies.