Napoleon 1400

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MaineGuideMK

Sep 16, 2016
Maine
I found a Napoleon 1400 for $500. I went and saw the stove. The steel looked good. There is very little rust. All the seams on the inside looked good. The bricks were out of the stove and in good shape. The baffles were also in good shape. There was a little rust on the secondary burner holes up top. The stove is on feet and not a pedestal. I offered the guy 300. He said no. He didn't even really want to meet around 400. Am I passing up a good deal at 500? Also, the glass is clean and in good shape.

I'm looking for a stove that will serve as my primary means of heating. My house is 1000 squared ft or less. I burn from October to May. I'm looking for long burn times. I want enough coals to start a fire after 8 or 10 hours. Maine can be cold. We have a few nights a year that get to 20 below. My house is on hill on the edge of a blueberry field. The northwest winds can blow hard across the field to the back of the house.

The stove I have now is a weird one. It looks like a garrison, but it doesn't have a tag. I'll post photos of the old stove later this weekend.

Last edited:
If it is the stove that I just Googled it looks like a nice epa compliant steel stove that retails for 1700. Not knowing anythjng else I woupd say it is a great deal. Looks like a direct vent that does not require a chimney. I never heard of that before but might make your install easier. Does your county have a list of allowable stoves and is it on the list?

Up to this point, EPA compliant is not something I have ever experienced. I've always run nasty old cast iron and steel stoves that gobbled wood and blew black or blue smoke from the chimney. I run it hot and clean my stove pipe twice a year. I cut my own wood for free, so I've used 3-4 cords to heat a small house. I'm just looking for a little more efficiency.

I'm not sure what you mean about the direct vent--it's not a gas stove--but my stove pipe runs right from the stove outside to a metal asbestos chimney. I live in a ranch, so it doesn't travel far.

I don't think my county has restrictions on stoves. People aren't concerned about smoke from a neighbor's chimney.

I'd love to hear from some Napoleon owners.

@Handsonautotech I also run a farm boss and maul for my wood. I love my stihl.

The 1400 is a decent stove. It sounds like a nice deal. Note however this stove needs good draft and dry wood to perform. It will need at least a 16 ft flue and nicely seasoned wood to heat well.

When I googled napolean 1400 it came up as a wood burning direct vent stove that uses the same pipe for intake and exhaust. I see now that I googled a gas version.

Either way $500 for any stove seems like a good deal. If you do not even care if it is efficient then why even switch stoves?

The Nap 1400 wood stove was ever a good seller and performer when we sold Napoleon. The problem with them (if this can be called a problem) is their relatively high price, lots of other steel stoves (PE, Enviro, Englander to name a few) costs the same or less and are considered a little better quality. How old is this unit?? If less than 10 y/o, I'd say 500 is a fair deal. Not taking any less though is generally considered a poor way to get it sold. If he absolutely wanted 500, he should have asked for 600, then bent a little......

I have the 1400C.
b418b7a912334f7f48a4d34ba528d5eb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are just starting our third season with a Napoleon 1400 Pedestal model. While I don't have a very extensive frame of reference or long years of experience with other stoves, we have been happy with the 1400. We burn it pretty much 24/7 from mid-December thru March and slightly less in the shoulder seasons. The only months it doesn't get used at all are July and August. It has a nice big firebox that allows for EW and NS loading which is very convenient. The viewing window is quite large and doesn't require too much cleaning unless I'm burning lousy wood when I close down the air at night. As far as burn times, I can't guarantee 8-10 hours although with well seasoned, hard wood it will probably be very close. Typically I load it full when going to bed (around 11PM or midnight) with big pieces and when I get up at 5AM or 6AM there are plenty of hot coals to get things going again with a few smaller pieces and wide open air. My chimney is quite long due to the design of the house. About 1.5 meters up from the stove, then about 1.5 or 2 meters horizontal thru the wall, and then 7 meters straight up the outside of the house. Everything is class A except for the first meter above the stove. It draws very well.

The ash dump isn't the most convenient as it is a rather small hole in the bottom of the fire box so I often just scoop ashes right out of the firebox rather than using the ash pan, but since we burn 24/7 this can be difficult so the ash pan comes in handy.

I installed an OAK although I probably don't need it in our extremely drafty house. The double layered top makes thermometer placement challenging. First I had it on the flue collar but that wasn't very accurate. Now I have put it under the trivet although it isn't as easy to see there, but I get more accurate temperature readings. The blower on ours is somewhat finicky, sometimes making squeaking noises but oiling it up has helped, and to be honest we don't use it all that much as the stove radiates heat nicely even without it and I have a ceiling ran right above the stove.

The stove was given to us and I don't know how old it is, but when it was installed the chimney guys (who also run a store that sells stoves) checked it over and everything was OK. That was almost exactly two years ago. This summer I discovered that the airwash shield was completely rusted out and crumbling so I ordered and just took delivery on a new shield and gasket and will be installing them in the next few days. The user's manual says to check this part every season so it sounds like it is considered an expendable item. But the replacement only cost $30 including the gasket so not a bad deal. I also ordered a new manifold shield even though ours still looks okay. This is the cover for the secondary burner and it is made of thin metal, similar to the airwash shield. The manual says to check this yearly as well. It cost $32.

Some of my bricks are cracked but don't need replacement yet.

If the stove you are looking at has a blower test it out, letting it run for 5 or 10 minutes at different speeds just to see how it sounds. Also definitely check those two parts I mentioned. The airwash shield is right above the opening of the front door, on the inside and is held in place by four little bolts. You would have to remove that part to check the gasket that goes with it. It is not the rope type but rather a large sheet of felt like material that is the same size at the shield and is held in place by the shield. I purchased those parts here. http://www.ereplacementparts.com/na...e-with-legs-parts-c-182799_185675_185729.html

The attached photo is from when we first installed it two years ago.
DSC07084.jpg

@revdocjim That is super helpful information. Thank you. I'll call the guy again before he leaves for Florida in October. If I can get it for 400, I'll buy it.

If the stove has been sold there are good Englander stoves starting around $650 that may work.

@begreen are there differences in quality between englander, napoleon, regency, and us stove company stoves? Around here, it seems like most people like VC or Jotuls. The only steel stoves I have experience with are the big all nighters, fishers, and nashuas.

There are differences in the weight of metal used, baffle material, secondary construction, door latches, hinges, firebox layout, etc. US Stoves tend to be bottom end, but cheap. Englander provides a better value imo, and they have a good track record here. Another value stove is the True North TN19 which is made by PE, but with a conventional secondary tube system instead of their stainless baffle/secondary system. Regency is a step up in materials and construction. Drolet is also Canadian and worth looking into for a good stove at a good price.They are made by SBI who also makes Osburn stoves.

@begreen are there differences in quality between englander, napoleon, regency, and us stove company stoves? Around here, it seems like most people like VC or Jotuls. The only steel stoves I have experience with are the big all nighters, fishers, and nashuas.

But the folks around here still loving the Vermont Castings either have older ones or the good memories of those old ones.

I think one big reason for the Jotul love here in Maine is the local connection . . . well that and they look good and heat well.

The other stoves you listed are fine stoves though for the most part.

Good point jake. I'd love a 118 cb or oslo, but I can't seem to find a used one around here for a good price. At this point, I just want a rugged non cat with secondary combustion tubes. After learning that I', burning an old coal stove, I think just about anything will be better than the stove I have now. 3 cords to heat 700 or 800 square feet is a little much, right?

But the folks around here still loving the Vermont Castings either have older ones or the good memories of those old ones.

I think one big reason for the Jotul love here in Maine is the local connection . . . well that and they look good and heat well.

The other stoves you listed are fine stoves though for the most part.

OK, I must be missing something... what is the "local connection" between Maine and stoves made in Norway?

Yes, Maine people are about everything Maine. There's a "we're in this together" mentality that exists in few other places in the northeast. It's a great place to live. Southern Maine, however, is considered a different state. It's essentially part of northern Massachusetts.

Have you considered something a bit smaller than the Oslo . . . and traveling a bit?

I see a Castine for sale in Waterville, VT for $500 and another in Pelham for $450.

Of course, there are many other solid options in woodstoves besides Jotul.

Yes Jake I had seen that Castine for sale. My parents have one. The firebox just looks too small to me. I want something I can load at 10 pm and still have coals at 5 in the morning. My oil doesn't come on very often. I'm going to look at a regency 2400 in Belfast on Sunday.

The Castine is a beautiful stove but you are correct, it's a hard stove to keep burning overnight when it needs to be pushed due to colder weather. It also is an E/W loader vs the Napoleon's square firebox. Good luck with the Regency.

I decided to go with a regency 2400 instead of the napoleon 1400. The regency was only a $100 more than the napoleon and the guy selling it was a younger woodworker with an immaculate shop. He cared for his tools and stove well. I'd rather spend the extra $100 for a better stove and give the money to a young craftsman than get a cheaper stove and give the money to a wealthy retired guy "from away" with a "camp" that's bigger than my house. Thanks to everyone who offered advice. I'll post some pictures of my stove once I get it installed.

Sounds like a good plan and good stove karma.

Reactions: stovelark
A decent stove that should give you many years of cheap heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.