Napoleon 1402 & loss of air control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cnice_37

Mar 24, 2011
Assonet MA
My neighbor has the subject insert and mentioned she can't use her stove as she no longer can control the burn. Her description suggests more than a minor air leak and something that just happened all of the sudden.

Does anyone have an IPL for the stove? I suspect the primary air is wide open and there is perhaps some linkage loose on the air control slider. However, this is a complete guess as I know very little of the stove but it would fit her symptoms.

Her dealer is useless, and another local stove shop is booked full and can't help either. This just reinforces my belief in being self sufficient, so I'm going to tackle the job. Hoping for a little help from the experts here first!!

Here's a pdf of the manual for the stove, but in glancing through it, I didn't see what looked like anything that explains how the air control actually works. http://woodstoves.net/documents/napoleon/1101_1402_manual.pdf

Unless someone with experience with this unit chimes in (or there is a better exploded view of the stove somewhere that I can't find) I think this is going to be an open-things-up-and-see-what-you-find sort of repair.

pen

I don't have this stove but recall a similar problem a few years back. It turned out to be the damper olate pivot screw on the air control had worked its way loose. That's the first thing I'd check.

Unless someone with experience with this unit chimes in (or there is a better exploded view of the stove somewhere that I can't find) I think this is going to be an open-things-up-and-see-what-you-find sort of repair.

Thanks pen, I've got the manual and warned her already... I'm sure I can fix it... just not sure how long it may take. I feel for the woman, retired, single, can't keep up with her house, never mind the bills.

It turned out to be the damper olate pivot screw on the air control had worked its way loose. That's the first thing I'd check.

Awesome tip, I'll be sure to look there first. Just wiggling the air control slider made me sense something broke free and I hope its quick and easy for her sake and mine!

Hope that's it. Let us know what you find out.

Well, the air slider was hooked up and working fine. It appears to me like the door gasket wasn't sealing great is the lower corner near the hinges. I scraped all the crud off the stove (this thing is rusty, most likely due to the cast pot on top leaving steam residue??). I also cleaned up some gasket sealant on a newly installed gasket. The gasket looked good, and the handle simply compresses the side closest to it enough to make that side flatten, but the hinge side still has a more curved look.

It almost passed the dollar bill test, with that one corner needing love. I got it to the point it needed 2 fingers and a good tug to yank it out.

I hooked everything back up and we got a fire going. I don't know if I helped or not, but the stove was able to choke down the fire.

To close it the door needs to be picked up just a bit which seems annoying, and I could not fix that. I wonder if something on the door warped.

Status
Not open for further replies.