Napoleon 1402 (?) plug-in blower issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jct_02

Dec 16, 2020
VT, USA
I recently purchased a house with a Napoleon wood-burning fireplace insert. It looks like a 1402 (design and dimensions match), but it could be something else. Age unknown. Two-ish questions related to the blowers:

• the blowers have a cord and have to be plugged in. In the documents I've found, the 1402 doesn't seem to have a cord. Is there a model that has a cord by default, or was this an adaptation by whoever installed it?
  • when plugged in and turned on at the control dial, I get a godawful metal shrieking noise and the blowers don't blow. Obviously something needs to be fixed, but can anyone verify that this is typical of blowers in need of replacing rather than something else before I buy the parts? And is that a repair that can be done by a non-professional?
Thanks!

I recently purchased a house with a Napoleon wood-burning fireplace insert. It looks like a 1402 (design and dimensions match), but it could be something else. Age unknown. Two-ish questions related to the blowers:

• the blowers have a cord and have to be plugged in. In the documents I've found, the 1402 doesn't seem to have a cord. Is there a model that has a cord by default, or was this an adaptation by whoever installed it?
  • when plugged in and turned on at the control dial, I get a godawful metal shrieking noise and the blowers don't blow. Obviously something needs to be fixed, but can anyone verify that this is typical of blowers in need of replacing rather than something else before I buy the parts? And is that a repair that can be done by a non-professional?
Thanks!
You need to remove the blower assembly and inspect it. Turn it by hand and check that blower impeller spins freely. Plug it in and run it. If it still makes a lot of noise, likely the motor will need to be replaced unless you are up to inspecting the motor shaft and replacing the bearings/sleeves.

It should have to blowers one on each side standing up. Acord should be wired in on the right hand side. There should be 1/2" oval shaped hole on the right side below the speed control knob that is where it wires in. There is a chance someone hard wired it. These units have thermo disc switch as well located on the right hand side I believe they close starting the blower around 100F. There are 2 sheetmetal screws with 1/4" hex top an bottom that holds the fan shroud on they are PITA to get back in. Do you have any wall switches near the insert that you are unsure of?