Napoleon 1402: Stove Thermometer temperatures with

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rosko512

Hearth Supporter
Dec 6, 2007
Ohio
Hi all.
I am new to the woodburning experience and have just had my first insert installed this past weekend. This is a great forum and I've spent many an hour(so far) getting all kinds of information regarding wood and all the fun you can have with it. Now for the question... Can anyone tell me what kind of temps I should see to achieve an "optimum" burn range with the thermometer located on the top/middle of the firebox? I had seen a previous post showing a thermometer in this location in the middle of the firebox. What I am trying to find some kind of feedback or data to correlate stove pipe temps and firebox temps. I have an email out to the manufacturer but I wanted to see if the member here had some first hand knowledge.

Thanks,

Good question. Maybe someone with the freestanding version of the stove can give us some comparison temps?

Your stove manual says the optimum temperature for that insert is between 500 and 600 degrees.

rosko512 said:
Hi all.
I am new to the woodburning experience and have just had my first insert installed this past weekend. This is a great forum and I've spent many an hour(so far) getting all kinds of information regarding wood and all the fun you can have with it. Now for the question... Can anyone tell me what kind of temps I should see to achieve an "optimum" burn range with the thermometer located on the top/middle of the firebox? I had seen a previous post showing a thermometer in this location in the middle of the firebox. What I am trying to find some kind of feedback or data to correlate stove pipe temps and firebox temps. I have an email out to the manufacturer but I wanted to see if the member here had some first hand knowledge.

Thanks,

I have the 1402 and this is my first season with it. I have about 2 face cords through my stove. I find that the best temperature is around 550 in the same location you stated. I don't know the flue temps though.

+++

I'm on year 12 with a 1401, same as the 1402 but with different fans. The sweet spot is 550 degrees F, but that of course depends upon the speed you're running the blowers at. You'll go higher with the fans off and maybe a bit lower with them at full speed. You don't need to be concerned with stove pipe temp if you're watching the temp on the top of the stove.

Between 500 and 600 is correct. The trick is to see how long it will stay there. Remember anything over 700 is considered an overfire condition, according to Napoleon. Good luck with the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.