Napoleon NPS45 Igniter install. How do you connect the wires properly?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Peter52

Jan 5, 2016
Nobleboro, ME
The igniter in my Napoleon NPS45 went bad and I tried to install a new one. I had the new one installed and the igniter turned orange and the stove ran good for about 2 minutes and then the fuse on the control board blew. I replaced the fuse and can start the stove manually and everything works. I am guessing that maybe I did not attach the igniter wires properly? When I put in a new igniter how do I know where the 2 wires from the igniter connect to the wire harness? Is one positive and one negative? There does not seem to be any color coding on the wiresor markings to tell one from another. The two wires from the igniter are not connected with the original spade connectors...the 2 wires are just connected with wire nuts. Thanks for any help you can provide. I have ANOTHER igniter coming soon and I want to install this one correctly.

Last edited:
It doesn’t matter which wire goes to the terminals. But you need to be real careful that you make all connections with the stove unplugged. And there are no bare spots on the wires. There has been a few igniters that were bad from the start, where the folks got them from I don’t know.

Last edited:
It doesn’t matter which wire goes to the terminals. But you need to be real careful the you make all connections with the stove unplugged. And there ar no bare spots on the wires. There has been a few igniters that were bad from the start, where the folks got them from I don’t know.

Thank you for your reply. That's what I thought...that it didn't matter which wires go to the terminals. I will be really careful to make sure there are no bare spots on the wires next time. The igniters have been changed out 3-4 times in the past few years and the 2 wires from the igniter are connected to the wire harness just with wire nuts so it's possible that the connections I made were not tight enough. The igniter seemed to short out the fuse on the circuit board right when the fan started up. Everything seems to run fine with a manual start so I guess the fan, etc. were not damaged.

Thats good its still working, just keep in mind them boards won’t take to many blown fuses before it does some damage

Reactions: Peter52