Napoleon NZ3000H - Air Assembly issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Amelvin86

Sep 25, 2018
NS, Canada
Hi All,

Yesterday, mid-burn my wife had a bolt fall into the firebox. She pull it out, but noted that the catalyst by-pass seemed to stop working. Initially my thought was the bolt fell out of a linkage in that system.

This morning once the box had cooled, I took a quick look only to find that both mounting bolts on the front of the air assembly had stretched the nuts and falling out. As such the air assembly is currently not mounted to the top of the firebox (other than some vice grips I used to take the strain off, while waiting repair).

Attached is a photo of the issue (both sides are the same).

My thought is I could replace the nuts and bolts and be back in business, but with the unit currently pinned together with vice grips, it seems like the by pass lever isn't opening and closing the door.

Is it possible the by pass door is now disconnected ?

Secondly, we are pretty conscientious in our burns and don't over fire the box as far as I know... Wondering why these nuts stretched to the point that they let the bolts slide through? Generally our fires are burning in the 900-1300* range according to my catalyst temp monitor.

Any help would be appreciated! I don't really want to wait 2 weeks for a service call from our local stove shop.

Thanks,
Allan

20210303_070337.jpg

The plot thickens.. last night I took a closer look, turns out the bypass door bracket assembly was floating loose above the secondary air assembly, in behind the catalyst. I tried to dismount the secondary air assembly per the manual which resulted in a bolt head twisting off the nut going into the rear of the stove... Only adding to the issues...

I say in the queue with Napoleon today for 1h15minutes and a second time for 45m and gave up.

One thing they do want is my S/N, which with this unit now stoned into the wall, I'm not sure I'll be able to locate? Any thoughts?

Needless to say, I'm less than impressed right now.