Napoleon wood inserts review

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

robitd

Aug 22, 2023
CAnada
Hi, I'm looking at the napoleon s25i insert. I know Napoleon for BBQs but not for wood stove. Is it good enough ? Should I choose another brand ?
Is the s25 anygood ? I don't find any good reviews... Thanks

Napoleon reports have dropped off a lot in the past few years. Not sure why. Wolf has made some good stoves. The s25 is a conventional tube secondary stove. It has a nice big belly and a clean, contemporary look.

I have an Oakdale 13C and am on my second season with it. I am pleased with the performance and would buy it again. Some neg reviews seem to be from folks who just expect a little too much out of a wood burning insert. It is a little small but is ideal for a smaller fireplace which is typical of very old homes ( mine has 8 ). Dry wood is best but a little sooting of the glass border is normal. Also ashes must be removed when they get too deep. Very important is the installation of the flu blocking when the stove is installed which keeps the heated air from escaping up the chimney. If this isn’t done the “thermal pellet “ which allows the blower to start won’t get hot enough to activate . We replaced one of the refractory bricks at the front air intake but in all fairness it was used 24/7 from October to April.

Reactions: moresnow
I have an Oakdale 13C and am on my second season with it. I am pleased with the performance and would buy it again. Some neg reviews seem to be from folks who just expect a little too much out of a wood burning insert. It is a little small but is ideal for a smaller fireplace which is typical of very old homes ( mine has 8 ). Dry wood is best but a little sooting of the glass border is normal. Also ashes must be removed when they get too deep. Very important is the installation of the flu blocking when the stove is installed which keeps the heated air from escaping up the chimney. If this isn’t done the “thermal pellet “ which allows the blower to start won’t get hot enough to activate . We replaced one of the refractory bricks at the front air intake but in all fairness it was used 24/7 from October to April.
8 fireplaces? Impressive. We like pics!