Nashua Wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tburdine

Oct 1, 2020
Northern Indiana
Hello,

We recently purchased a 1880s farmhouse in Indiana that we are remodeling. In the home there was a Nashue wood stove that seemed to us to be improperly installed beings it was up pretty close against a plaster wall and sitting on standard tile without any heat shielding. As part of the purchase agreement we asked them to remove the stove. The stove is still in our possession just located in the pole barn on the property. As part of our remodel I would love to reincorporate a woodstove back into the home but the more I read the more confused I feel as it seems everyone has a different opinion on how to properly install them.

We have just begun on the remodel so we have all the options to choose from as nothing is set in stone. First this stove is older and no longer has the blower. Is it worth it to plan around using it or better to upgrade now as we plan to make this our forever home. What are the benefits of the newer epa certified stoves and is it all hype, are the older stoves real contenders or is upgrading the wiser option? Soap stone, air wash, etc?

The hope is that we could put a single story addition on the south side of our 2 story home. With the 10 3 2 rules in mind would this be a smart idea to have it off of the single story 10 feet away or would we still have draft issues? Also, I attached a photo of what I will refer to as an alcove instal. I would like something similar but was told at a local retailer that to install in that way is not remoended and I was basically stupid for suggesting it.

If we were to have a stove were we could vent it the full two story height it would seem that it would be a valid option to look into a double sided stove were it would conduct heat to both rooms accordingly. Are double sided wood stoves a valid option?

Sorry to have so many questions! I just want to have all the answers before moving forward with plans. The home does have a furnace so the stove would not be our only heat source but would be great to offset cost while providing that charm that only a real wood fire can provide.

Attachments

• 06283ddd0570f3d0755b7a61c0833788l-m17od-w1024_h768.jpg
    06283ddd0570f3d0755b7a61c0833788l-m17od-w1024_h768.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 159
  • Resized_20200930_140221.jpeg
    Resized_20200930_140221.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 222
  • Screenshot_20201001-141422_Pinterest.jpg
    Screenshot_20201001-141422_Pinterest.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 213
  • 06283ddd0570f3d0755b7a61c0833788l-m4od-w1024_h768.jpg
    06283ddd0570f3d0755b7a61c0833788l-m4od-w1024_h768.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Welcome. The old Nashua was a good heater and a tank, but a modern stove will burn much cleaner, putting out heat using less wood. And it will provide a beautiful fire view. They most likely had the stove in this location because it's where they stayed the most, though I would change the stove orientation 45º to face into the room. How open would the new addition be to the current floorplan? If there are a lot of obstructions then heat may not flow out of the room too well. That could mean overheating in that space if it is built well insulated and sealed.

Can you post a sketch of the current floor plan, including the staircase and the current stove location. Indicate where the proposed addition connects.

That Inglenook design is a common request, but it takes a lot of planning to do it properly. The entire enclosure including the studs most often needs to be made entirely of non-combustible materials. For the stove shop they probably consider it a big pain. Our neighbors just tore out a zero clearance fireplace and she also wanted this look, until the costs and hassles were presented. They are now doing an open alcove instead.

Thank you for the reply and for clarification on the IngIenook.

Here is a super rough sketch.
This is a very centrally located living space with direct access to the stairs and other areas of the home.

Could you give me some brands and models for newer stoves to look into.
I am thinking I would like to stick with a cast iron more tradition look and like you mentioned maybe something with more of a view of the fire. But I have seen a lot of mentions of soap stone which could be an option as well.

Thanks for sharing your know how, it is so appreciated.

Attachments

• 20201005_130931.jpg
    20201005_130931.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 160
Last edited: