National Steelcrafters (Craft Stove) Model 4830

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LowcountryRacer44

Nov 11, 2018
Round O, SC
The rental were in now has an old craft stove insert. I’m trying to learn a little more in regards to operation and how to burn efficiently as possible. The stove has an air dial on each door as well as a pull out damper or baffle (not sure of proper term). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Pics to come once approved. Thanks!

The rental were in now has an old craft stove insert. I’m trying to learn a little more in regards to operation and how to burn efficiently as possible. The stove has an air dial on each door as well as a pull out damper or baffle (not sure of proper term). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Pics to come once approved. Thanks!
Is it hooked to a liner? If not dont use it

I don’t think it is. I know the chimney is lined, but all I can see from the bottom is the rectangular opening in the flue. It appears to be wide open leading to that. I know my landlord used it all the time, but it sounds like he would choke everything down to make it last. Meaning damper slid all the way in and maybe a half turn out on each knob. I don’t feel this is the correct way.

Yeah without a proper connection to the liner it is unsafe to use. Your landlord needs to either bring it up to code or disable it
Thank you! I was able to pull the insert off the wall slightly and could see the creosote buildup on top and on the floor of the fireplace. I understand why they’re called slammers now. With this old of insert and the way the flue is configured, it would probably take a decent amount of mods to make that connection.

Thank you! I was able to pull the insert off the wall slightly and could see the creosote buildup on top and on the floor of the fireplace. I understand why they’re called slammers now. With this old of insert and the way the flue is configured, it would probably take a decent amount of mods to make that connection.
It can be done but many times the stove isnt worth the investment