Natural Gas Firepit on Wood Deck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firepitguy

Apr 10, 2009
Texas
Hi - I'm building a natural gas fire pit on a wood deck. I'm trying to insulate the wood deck from the heat - even though I really don't think its going to be a huge problem. It's a 12" high pit with a 24 inch fire ring. The fire ring sits 10 inches off of the deck. The pit is made of stones with vents on all four sides at the bottom.

What I'm looking for is a good material to shield the fire ring from the bottom of the deck. People have suggested a piece of stainless steel... but would anything else work? Another metal? Perahps durock or cement board? Or maybe fire bricks? What would be the best idea?

Thanks!

Best idea would be to get a pre-made tested and listed fire pit with a base and everything. It would state in the manual what is safe to do and is not. Then you are not guessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.