NC-30 - Fan or no Fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adams614

Nov 26, 2011
VT
1st Thread. Glad to finally get one on here.

I'm installing an NC-30 this Summer and it came with a free room fan. How many are running with the fan? How many wish they were running it.

I've got the wall open so I can run an outlet to the floor if I want to run the fan, seems kind of loud. Pro's Con's?

I don't run one, but at times (when it's ultra cold and I want to make the old girl work even harder) I wish I could. If I were you, I'd run the outlet to give yourself the option.

If by playing around you find you like it, then great. If you find you don't care for it, no real skin off your rear.

pen

I don't run one, but at times (when it's ultra cold and I want to make the old girl work even harder) I wish I could. If I were you, I'd run the outlet to give yourself the option.

If by playing around you find you like it, then great. If you find you don't care for it, no real skin off your rear.

pen

Im heating from a basement... So I agree with Pen 100%.

The 30 is a heat monster.. But there are times I may want a little more ;)

For free (blower).... It cant hurt. A couple hrs of your labor to run an outlet. As for the noise. I run a pellet stove (or pellet furnace) and that one blower cant be any louder. You will soon drown out the noise and look at the savings in your Gas/Oil/LP/Elec bill.

Welcome to the gang... Looking forward to pics after install. BrotherBart will be around with your shirt when the pics come ;)

Do it. I have their big blower on the 30 on the first floor and even at low speed it moves some air which I need since mine is halfway in a fireplace. But the heating difference is fantastic. I have the little blower that came with the one I bought this year for the basement and have no doubt that it is gonna get used.

Ya got it. Put in an outlet and use it. Or just send it to me for a spare.

Hope you are as happy with your 30 as I have been with mine!

By the way, here's yer shirt.

englander t shirt.jpg

All 30s come with a blower now, right?

My 30 has no blower and is situated in a side room outside the usual square of a center-hall colonial. The tower fan standing outside the door of the stove room pushes heat throughout the house without much trouble.

I've often wondered if a blower on the stove might help, but I've never wondered enough to spend any money to find out.

All 30s come with a blower now, right?

Ours came with one when we purchased it last September. I thought all of them come with blowers now.

I use the blower on ours (on low) when it is very cold out. I find it really circulates the heat well to the furthest areas of the house.

I use my blower when heating the cabin from a cold occupancy or if the outside temp really drops. Only downsides are noise (unless you keep the speed down) and wood consumption. Since it's putting out heat quicker, mine doesn't get as long a burn.

My 17-VL came with a fan (Model AC-16, good for 17-VL, 13 and 12...not sure about the 30). I installed it, ran it for a few hours then took it off due to noise and my wife not liking an electrical wire being right behind the stove. I don't miss it. Anyway, it's in the box and just on a shelf. If someone wants it they can have it for $10 plus shipping. Otherwise it'll go on eBay in the fall.

**Edit**
I should note that we do use a tower fan sometimes when we need to really move heat or when I overload the stove and want to cool it down quicker.

Ours came with one when we purchased it last September. I thought all of them come with blowers now.

I use the blower on ours (on low) when it is very cold out. I find it really circulates the heat well to the furthest areas of the house.

Thanks. I thought that was the case. The 30 will be placed in a large walk-in fireplace. I intend to use the blower to make it a little more efficient moving the heat out of the fireplace.

1st Thread. Glad to finally get one on here.

I'm installing an NC-30 this Summer and it came with a free room fan. How many are running with the fan? How many wish they were running it.

I've got the wall open so I can run an outlet to the floor if I want to run the fan, seems kind of loud. Pro's Con's?
Congrats on your new stove look forward to the pics! Welcome to the forum too!

Ray

Anyway, it's in the box and just on a shelf. If someone wants it they can have it for $10 plus shipping. Otherwise it'll go on eBay in the fall.

PM me your Paypal account ID or mailing address and the dough is on the way.

PM me your Paypal account ID or mailing address and the dough is on the way.

Bart sure is doing a lot of stove related buying this off season. Kind of surprising since last year he was spreading the word that his wood burning days might be ending soon and that he would never buy another wood stove again since his 80 100 200 year old knees won't let him.

Then, blammo, he's buys another 30 and he's replacing his burnt out blower on the original 30. I suspect that the gruff, old man act that Bart puts on, is just that. An act. He's actually the grandson of Bob England. 25 at the oldest, I say.

. I suspect that the gruff, old man act that Bart puts on, is just that. An act. He's actually the grandson of Bob England. 25 at the oldest, I say.

Yep Bar, it's all poppycock!::-)

Adams, good luck with the 30...you are gonna love that beast!
Don't forget pics...or yur shirt will be revoked!

I firmly believe the shirt should be held in reserve until we see pics.
The blower on our old Ashley finally got way too noisy, and I couldn't find a new one that fit, so I pulled it and put a tower air purifier pointing into the stove room.
Even on low, it gets the warm air to the other end of the house.
When the blower was working (well, technically it still does), it did a great job moving air.

If not to move heat for the house, the fan makes a for a very effecient means of calming down a runnaway stove. Give it 10 minutes and the top temp will drop 200 degrees. I use the fan during colder temps if I could not keep up, or to cool down the stove if she is purring a bit too loud.

If not to move heat for the house, the fan makes a for a very effecient means of calming down a runnaway stove. Give it 10 minutes and the top temp will drop 200 degrees. I use the fan during colder temps if I could not keep up, or to cool down the stove if she is purring a bit too loud.
We've had the blower discussion many times and I too am a fan of the fan particularly if you burn in a convection stove. The heat transfer is greatly enhanced and your efficiency will go up in my opinion. The blower will also help keep the heat more uniform and reduce the overheated feeling when you sit in the same room as the stove. On the T-5 the stove is comfortable to be near with the exception of the front which is a serious source of radiant "bake your face off" type of heat.

Ray

Bart sure is doing a lot of stove related buying this off season. Kind of surprising since last year he was spreading the word that his wood burning days might be ending soon and that he would never buy another wood stove again since his 80 100 200 year old knees won't let him.

Then, blammo, he's buys another 30 and he's replacing his burnt out blower on the original 30. I suspect that the gruff, old man act that Bart puts on, is just that. An act. He's actually the grandson of Bob England. 25 at the oldest, I say.

It is actually the cutting and hauling of the wood that will end after this mess is split and stacked. Gonna buy it cut and split from here on out. The other 30 was an impulse buy and I have paid mightily for the move moving it into the basement.

25. I wish. The first stove I installed in this house, now the outside wood burner, turned 28 this year. <> What has to happen next is selling some of these things and getting them out of here.

Gonna buy it cut and split from here on out.

Nothing wrong with that. I buy all my wood cut and split. It just makes sense financially for me.

What has to happen next is selling some of these things and getting them out of here.

Tell me about it. I have three stoves sitting here.

Received the blower from joecool85 today. Joe is just flat cool I tell ya. Thanks Joe!

I am seriouisly thinking it's time to sell the splitter and saw. Sitting here looking at 10 years of wood stacked and waiting for their moment in the stove. Then I wonder what I would do when a giant Oak or Hickory is laying in field across from my house. Dunno.

My splitter and saw collection were going on Craigslist this year. Can't do that stuff any more. Then the neighbor down the hill has a bunch of huge oaks dropped in his yard and told the tree guys not to haul off the trunks. His neighbor wanted it. Damn him and love him at the same time. I was gonna just start buying split and dumped.

Moving that stuff has to be hurting as much as moving those rocks you are moving for the fence. <>

Status
Not open for further replies.