nc30 problem with window gasket!?!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greythorn3

Minister of Fire
Oct 8, 2007
Alaska
wheelordie.com
well i guess cleaning the window once a week or so with the newspaper and ash thing is causing the gasket to tear? anyhow there is strands of the gasket hanging down now i have to trim with sissors, so it dont look terrible.

anyone else have this problem? should i use somethign to glue it up so it does get worse? it seals good, but it just looks bad to me. i want it to look good.

heres a picture

Attachments

• windowgasket.jpg
    windowgasket.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 214
That's weird Greythorn, not an issue here with my 30.
I have to ask though....are you cleaning the glass all "gangbusta style?"
Maybe you are a lil too rough? :)
Even if you are rough you would not expect that to happen. Maybe Mike from Englander will be around soon.

I am curious to see what pen has to say...he is nasty with his poker: he is prolly rough with other things too..... :shut:

Yeah, I know what you think of pokers... :lol:
I don't use one just an FYI...

the part of the gasket which is exposed to the flame can have a tendancy to fray some from direct impingement rubing along the gasket can make it fray even more. however, the exposed gasket is literally "excess" and is not an important part of the seal. the par that matters is what is pinched between the outside of the glass and the cast door itself, this part is not exposed so it doesnt deteriorate like the exposed stuff does. just trim the strands away and it shold be fine for multiple seasons, unless the glass is actually loose in the doorframe from gasket wear it should be fine

Six seasons. No fraying.

The 13 frayed. We snipped it, been working fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.