NC30-Smoke backing up! Coming out door and 3" intake!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also have a basement stove and very tall chimney. Had the exact same problem. I agree with those that are telling you that you need to prime the stove/chimney to get some warm air flowing in the right direction (up!). I use a hair dryer. I open the bypass so I get a straight shot up the pipe. It works nice because not only does it warm the air, but it also physically starts blowing it in the right direction. When I am starting a fire in a cold stove, I run hair dryer for about 2 minutes. I might not need to run it so long, but I want to make sure I do it long enough so I don't get a basement full of smoke. Works great.
-Jay

Carstonio said:
Thanks for the advice. We were having problems from burning wood that hadn't been sufficiently split. We have a large basement so I split and brought in about 30 pieces so they'll dry faster, given the large snows we've had this past month.

One more question - I cut the interior pipes myself, and the horizontal section is about half a degree off level, pointing slightly down toward the hole in the chimney. Should I trim a inch or so off the vertical section after burning season is over?

And which suppliers would you recommend for accessories, such as non-metal chimney brushes for the interior pipes? I have square metal brushes that work for the chimney itself. I also need to replace the trap door at the base of the chimney. Any in the mid-Atlantic would be great.

How long is the horizontal run? The horizontal pipe must be pitched uphill towards the chimney at least 1/4" per foot. Trim the vertical for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.